Learn to Hang Glide Class
Carter Memorial Airport - Luling, TX
Saturday & Sunday - Typically 11:00 AM & 2:30 PM
*Pending weather and instructor availability
- Your instructor is certified by the U.S. Hang Gliding Association and has over 20 years experience
- Classroom briefing orientates you to the sport and a training film
- Ground school provides coaching on how to hold and lift the glider
- At the practice hill, put your new skills to use and experience the freedom of flight with you at the controls
Your experience starts with a brief classroom orientation where you will learn about hang gliders and the basics of how they work.
Then, it's over to the landing field for ground school. In ground school, you learn to lift the glider, how to hold it and how to move with the glider. After ground school, the only thing left is to do is fly!
On the foot of the practice hill you will take your first steps toward getting off the ground. As the class moves on, you'll move higher up the hill and get progressively longer flights - up to 4 total.
By the end of the day you will be looking back on one of the most fun and exhilarating experiences of your life.
Your instructor has been hang gliding for over 20 years and competes nationally and internationally in cross country and speed gliding events and has organized regional and national competitions.
He was elected Regional Director for the Texas and Louisiana USHGA chapter along with being a member of the USHGA board of directors for six years. You are in good hands!
- Participants must weigh no more than 230 pounds
- Experience includes 4 flights on the practice hill on the day of your class
- Provider is a member of the United States Hang Gliding Association
Approximately 3 Hours
Up to 10 per class.
Allowed, you can sit in on the classroom session with the participant and watch at the practice hill.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions and sturdy, comfortable, closed toed shoes.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider
What should I bring?
All hang gliding equipment that is needed is provided. You should come prepared to spend an entire day in the great outdoors in Texas. Bring lots of water, and wear footwear such as hiking boots that will support your ankles.
Is there a minimum age limit to participate?
All participants must be at least 12 years old to participate in the class.
Other Austin Gift Ideas:(View all 40 Austin experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(8)From: $243
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $225
- Race a Ferrari 430 ScuderiaFrom: $493
- Race a Lamborghini SuperleggeraAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $493
- Private Dinner Cruise (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 4-half(20)From: $211
- Indoor SkydivingAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $64
- Zipline Canopy TourAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $81
- Sunset Sailing CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $300
- Scenic Glider RideFrom: $255
- All Austin Experiences
"Trying to work out a date and place was a long and somewhat frustrating experience (which occurred after the cloud 9 booking). The actual lesson was much better---wish there was more wind. Our instructor was friendly and knowledgeable, and even shared some delicious watermelon. He had to take an occassional phone call during the lesson, which is understandable because he runs the show, but I felt it was unprofessional. The hill we practiced on was very small, and I would have preferred a more accelerated learning pace (which the small hill and little wind did not lend itself too). Although I generally enjoyed the experience, I would not recommend it without the caveat of the above situations."
"Great experience, excellent instructor, friendly staff to coordinate!"