Folly Beach, SC
Daily - 8:30 AM, 10:30, 12:30, 2:30 PM & 4:30 PM
- Surf Academy director has 4 NSSA National titles, 5 East Coast Champion titles, claimed 3 back-to-back U.S. Championships and was 2nd in the world as an amateur
- 10-15 minute beach orientation followed by 60 minutes in the water riding the waves
- Practice correctly sitting on the board, looking for the perfect wave and applying your newly learned surf techniques
- Great for beginners or advanced surfers!
There's nothing like catching a wave for the first time and feeling that instant rush of adrenaline! Learn how to surf with a customized lesson in Folly Beach!
With an experienced surf instructor, you'll spend the first 10-15 minutes of the 90-minute lesson with an orientation on dry land. Learn about ocean awareness and safety, the currents, surfing etiquette, the equipment, paddling and the 3-step "Pop up" technique.
After your beach training, you'll head to the water. Spend approximately 60 minutes working on correctly sitting on the surfboard, looking for the perfect wave and applying the techniques you learned on land.
Your lesson will be customized to your skill and comfort level and no experience is necessary. Choose between a private lesson for 1-on-1 attention or a semi-private class, which will still offer personalized attention and a low student to teacher ratio.
A Surf Lesson at Folly Beach is perfect for the first time surfer or anyone wanting to master a certain technique!
- Participants must be at least 5 years old
- No experience necessary
- Surfers of all skill levels are welcome, beginner to advanced
- All equipment is provided including surfboard, leash and wetsuit (if needed) are provided
- Participants should be in moderate to healthy physical condition, as surfing can be strenuous
- Participants must be able to swim
The surf lesson is approximately 90 minutes and total experience time is 2 hours.
Up to 20 people per class. Please contact Cloud 9 Living for pricing for groups of more than 4 participants.
Spectators are welcome to watch the lesson from the beach.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Participants should wear a swimsuit and bring a towel and change of clothes. Sunscreen is recommended. If needed, a wet suit is available directly from the experience provider.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, rescheduling is allowed up to 3 days prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 3 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
Do I need surfing experience?
No, participants of all skill levels are welcome!
What is the best time of the year to learn?
Lessons are available year-round. Wetsuits are available during colder times of the year.
Do I need to know how to swim?
Yes, basic swimming skills are required.
Are there any age requirements?
Yes, participants must be at least 5 years of age with basic swimming skills.
Other Charleston Gift Ideas:(View all 12 Charleston experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 4(4)From: $105
- Gourmet Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 2-half(2)From: $65
- Charleston Cocktail TourFrom: $41
- Charleston Food and Cultural TourFrom: $61
- NASCAR Ride Along - Myrtle BeachAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $89
- NASCAR Drive - Myrtle BeachAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $499
- Surf LessonAvg Rating of: 4-half(1)From: $40
- BMW Performance Driving SchoolFrom: $775
- Charleston Scenic FlightFrom: $265
- All Charleston Experiences
"My experience was surfing lessons. The weather was insane that day in Charleston. 25 MPH winds and 6-7 foot waves that morning. Miles, the instructor called to discuss the conditions. He said he thought the size of the wave would diminish, but it would remain windy. He said if I was up for it, we could do it. We did. It was crazy conditions. The surf was churning, the wind was crazy. Despite this, and that there wasn't another soul in the water, we went for it! It was a blast! I'm so glad I did it, as I was leaving Charleston and would have missed this experience. Miles was a great instructor. Massively patient, calm and very nice. I actually got up on my feet twice, for about 2 seconds. "