Chinatown - Chicago, IL
April - November:
Saturdays & Sundays - 11:00 AM
- Passionate tour providers have been featured in the Chicago Tribune, CNN Travel, and Bon Appetit
- Experience 5 food tastings that include food delicacies from the Canton, Mandarin and Szechuan regions in China
- Get a behind the scenes look at this intriguing neighborhood with visits to cultural, religious and historical landmarks
Uncover China's sophisticated flavors and vast spectrum of regional cooking styles in a neighborhood filled with a rich ethnic heritage and modern mystique. Bypass the language and cultural barriers as you are taken behind the scenes in the heart of Chicago's most iconic food destination waiting to be explored.
Your guided Chinatown Food Tour visits 5 sit down tasting locations in the remarkable Chinatown neighborhood. Between samples, your informative guide will share their expertise of local customs, eclectic folklore and authentic Chinese specialty stores.
This tour is ideal for Chicago residents and travelers eager to discover the culinary secrets and ancient traditions of this extraordinary neighborhood. Whether you're vacationing in Chicago for the first time or a proud Chicagoan - you're sure to walk away with a greater understanding of the geographic diversity and culinary techniques of Asia's finest cuisine.
Delicious food specialties served on the tour may include:
- Top-rated Canton cuisine and Hong Kong style Dim Sum restaurant (est. 1996)
- America's premiere Sze Chuan style cuisine and family restaurant (est. 1998)
- Hong Kong-style sweet and savory buns, moon cakes and cookies (est. 1986)
- Traditional Chinese-style baked goods, desserts and Shanghai-French inspired pastries (est. 1993)
- Award-winning Mandarin style cuisine and Beijing Peking Duck restaurant (est. 2008)
- You'll cover about 1.5 miles of walking through the course of this 3-hour tour
- All tastings are included in the price
- Please note any dietary restrictions at the time of booking so that accommodations can be made
- Gratuity for the tour guide is not required but is appreciated if you enjoy the tour
- You will visit 5 different shops that will happily fill most stomachs
- The tour does not finish at the same starting point but your tour guide will provide a map and return instructions
Up to 12 people per tour
This experience is only for those booked on the tour.
This tour will run rain or shine.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable shoes and clothes appropriate for the weather. Participants are urged to bring cameras and are also encouraged to bring sunglasses, sun screen and a hat during the summer months.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance of intended date.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, all bookings for this experience are final.
How much food is served on the food tour?
The tour serves enough food that for most participants, lunch afterward is not necessary. With the combination of drink and food tastings combined with breaks for architectural, cultural, and historical insight, most participants are comfortably full after our food tours. Please understand the food tour is not intended to replace breakfast and lunch combined, so please consider eating breakfast before the tour.
How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
This tour covers approximately 1.5 miles in 3 hours. Participants can expect to be standing or walking for a majority of the time. Walking is at an easy to moderate pace.
Do your tours have anything to offer a native Chicagoan?
A majority of attendees live right here in Chicago. Chicago locals participate to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live in as well as take advantage of knowing the best specialty food store locations and local restaurants in Chicago's tastiest neighborhoods, away from Downtown and traditional tourists.
Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory. The standard gratuity in the service industry is 15%.
What if I have dietary restrictions or allergies?
Be sure to note any dietary restrictions at the time of booking so accommodations can be made.
Can I shop during the tour?
We ask that you please wait to shop until after the tour so that we can stay on our food-tasting schedule and continue with the informative tour and food tastings in a timely manner. We ask you allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite locations and/or stores. The tours are on a schedule to arrive at each tasting location so its important to stay on schedule so the food is freshly prepared for the participants.
Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
Unfortunately 2 tasting establishments on this tour are not wheelchair and stroller friendly or accessible.
Are any beverages served on the tour?
Water is provided throughout the tour.
Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
The tour does not finish at the same meeting point, but your guide will provide a map and directions at the end of the tour.
Do we only walk around and sample food?
Absolutely not! This tour combines architectural commentary, historical facts, local culture and culinary insight into a unique 3-hour experience. Imagine walking through Chicago eating our local artisans most delicious foods while learning the neighborhoods from real locals.
What happens if it rains or snows?
The tours are held in rain, shine, or snow. If necessary, ponchos will be provided, but be sure to dress according to the weather conditions.
Are bathrooms available during the tour?
Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
Are cameras allowed on the tour?
Yes! Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour.
Is there parking near the tour meeting point?
Yes, specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions found in your booking confirmation email.
Other Chicago Gift Ideas:(View all 74 Chicago experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Fly a CessnaAvg Rating of: 5(28)From: $219
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(9)From: $375
- NASCAR Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 4-half(28)From: $109
- Drive a NASCARAvg Rating of: 4-half(14)From: $488
- Walking Food Tour of ChicagoAvg Rating of: 4-half(67)From: $50
- Architectural Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 5(12)From: $76
- Sunset PaddleAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $65
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Chicago Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(13)From: $136
- All Chicago Experiences
"Philip was very knowledgeable and very nice. He does a great job."
"Excellent food and experience."
"Hanah was amazing!!!! I wasn't expecting all the information about the culture, the neighborhood, the people, the architecture, etc. It was a very interesting tour!! I've told several people about the tours already, and am planning on going on the others when I find time. Awesome day outing, even for Chicagoans who THINK they know their city!!!"