Beloit Airport - Beloit, WI
Saturdays & Sundays - 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Fly with an FAA Certified instructor at the oldest soaring school in the area, in business 15 years
- Learn the basics of glider flight while in the air and enjoy the opportunity to take the controls
- Choose between a 3,000 ft, 4,000 ft, or 5,000 ft tow offering you from 15 to 40 minutes of flight
- Experience the serenity of powerless flight and fly like the birds do over the Wisconsin countryside!
Soaring is widely considered the purest form of flight. With no roaring engine to propel you, gliders fly the way the birds do using the same rising currents of warm air. It's a peaceful and surreal experience to pilot a glider. Find out for yourself with this Learn to Fly a Glider experience!
This introductory flight will introduce you to the exciting world of motor-less flight and give you the chance to pilot the plane. When you arrive at the airport, you will meet your FAA Certified Flight Instructor. Your instructor will introduce you to your plane and help you get strapped in.
Next, you take to the sky! Gliders being motor-less, they rely upon tow planes to take them up to altitude. You have the choice of being towed to either 3,000, 4,000, or 5,000 ft. The higher you go, the more time you will have to man the controls! Once at altitude, you will detach from your tow plane. While in the air, your instructor will teach you basic flight maneuvers and give you the chance to take the controls!
Flight times will vary depending on air conditions and the tow altitude. In general, a 3,000 ft tow will result in approximately 15-20 minutes of flight. If you choose to go to 4,000 ft, you will enjoy about 25-30 minutes of flight. For a 5,000 ft tow, you'll be in the air for approximately 30-40 minutes.
As you navigate the warm pockets of air, don't forget to soak in the incredible views and enjoy your experience. You are welcome to pass the controls back to your pilot if you'd just like to enjoy the ride as well! Either way, this is an experience you will never forget!
- Includes a complimentary logbook endorsed by an FAA Certified instructor
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age and weigh a minimum of 90 pounds
- All participants must weigh less than 242 pounds
- The pilot will evaluate all children under the age of 18 on a case by case basis and reserves the right to restrict them from taking the controls
Depending on option selected, please plan to spend up to 1.5-2 hours at the airport. For a 3,000 ft tow, you will experience 15-20 minutes of flight. For a 4,000 ft tow, will experience a 25-30 minute flight. For a 5,000 ft tow, you will experience 30-40 minutes of flight. Flight times do not include tow up to altitude.
1 per glider
Spectators are welcome! There are picnic tables and grills available at the airport and spectators can enjoy great views of the gliders as well as skydivers.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 48 hours prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 48 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather, you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
Do I need previous flight experience?
No! This ride and flight lesson is the perfect experience for first-time flyers. You will get to enjoy a scenic glider ride with a professional pilot and take the controls if and when you are comfortable.
What are the requirements to participate?
Participants must be at least 12 years old and weigh a minimum of 90 pounds. The pilot will evaluate every child under the age of 18 years old on a case by case basis and may decide it is best they just ride rather than take the controls. Don't worry though, it's a gorgeous and thrilling ride!
Please also note that all participants must weigh less than 242 pounds.
When is the best time to fly?
Flights in the morning and early afternoon tend to be the smoothest. The air becomes more unstable as the day goes on and reaches high temperatures. Generally, this makes for better soaring, but a bumpier ride!
Other Chicago Gift Ideas:(View all 73 Chicago experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Fly a CessnaAvg Rating of: 5(28)From: $219
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(9)From: $375
- NASCAR Stock Car Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 4-half(28)From: $109
- Drive a NASCAR Stock CarAvg Rating of: 4-half(14)From: $488
- Walking Food Tour of ChicagoAvg Rating of: 4-half(67)From: $50
- Architectural Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 5(12)From: $76
- Sunset PaddleAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $65
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Chicago Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(13)From: $136
- All Chicago Experiences