Montrose Beach - Chicago, IL
- Owner and lead instructor has been kayaking for over 18 years and is the paddling director for the Wild Onion Urban Adventure Race
- Learn kayaking fundamentals including proper technique and rules of the water
- Kayak, paddle and all necessary equipment provided
In this introductory class you will learn the basics of kayaking, teaching you everything you need to know to be safe and feel comfortable paddling a kayak.
You will learn basic safety and rules of the water, and how to do a wet exit in the event of a capsize, how to do a partner assisted T-rescue, and the basic paddle stroke techniques: turning, stopping, spinning and going straight, forward and reverse.
Choose between one introductory class or an 8-week progressive course. Each weeks class will build upon the last, introducing new concepts and ideas, rescues and techniques and refining skills. Each class is a combination of classroom, on the beach, and on the water activities providing the perfect outdoor classroom and learning environment.
This is a great class to get you on your way to becoming a seasoned kayaker!
- All equipment will be provided
- No prior experience is required, but all participants must be able to swim
4 hours per class
Up to 8 people per class
Family and friends are welcome to come watch.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
You will be on the water, so come prepared to get a little wet. Synthetic clothing is best. Cotton and denim clothing are not recommended. Bring swimwear, a water shirt and a towel. A change of dry clothes, sun block, sunglasses, water and a snack are also recommended.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling a date and confirming a booking for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 10 days prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 10 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
What should I bring?
Bring fluids and snacks if you plan on being out in an extended period of time, also a camera is great to bring while your out on the water.
What if I don't want to bring my keys or other valuables with me while kayaking?
There is free storage at the location, in case you want to leave something behind, or don't want it to get wet.
Can I bring alcohol with me?
For your own safety, there is no alcohol allowed in the kayaks.
Other Chicago Gift Ideas:(View all 73 Chicago experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Fly a CessnaAvg Rating of: 5(28)From: $219
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(9)From: $375
- NASCAR Stock Car Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 4-half(28)From: $109
- Drive a NASCAR Stock CarAvg Rating of: 4-half(14)From: $488
- Walking Food Tour of ChicagoAvg Rating of: 4-half(67)From: $50
- Architectural Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 5(12)From: $76
- Sunset PaddleAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $65
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Chicago Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(13)From: $136
- All Chicago Experiences