Chicago River - Chicago, IL
May - October:
Sundays - 7:00 PM
- Casually paddle across the waters of the Chicago River at sunset
- Watch the city turn to gold before your eyes
- Guides are American Canoe Association Certified instructors
- Brief lesson on kayaking before taking to the water so everyone feels comfortable
Paddle down the Chicago river and through the city at sunset.
Enjoy the sunset as it reflects off the water and onto the buildings. As the lights of the buildings begin to turn on, you will see the magical colors of the sunset reflecting off the buildings and the surrounding waters.
This is a nice leisurely paddle through the architectural canyons. As the sun goes down, you will head back and glide through the water at night.
This is one kayak experience you will never forget.
- Some athleticism and basic kayaking skills are required
- Lights are included, but an extra flashlight or bike light is recommended
- Choose a single or double kayak upon arrival
- Kids must be at least 12 years old to paddle on their own, otherwise any age can paddle in a tandem with an adult. All children under the age of 18 must have their parents sign the waiver for them.
Paddle for approximately 3 hours
Up to 12 people per guide
This experience is only for those on the tour
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
We will be on the water, so come prepared to possibly get a little wet. Dress casual, jeans are not recommended. Bring a towel, and a change of dry clothes.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling a date and confirming a booking for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 10 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 10 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
What should I wear?
Come prepared to get a little wet from the drip of your paddle and be out in the sun. Dress for the weather. Lightwieght, synthetic clothing is best.
What should I bring?
A camera is great to bring when you are out on the water, we recommend having it in a water proof bag. We highly recommend staying hydrated, bring ample water, to reduce heat exhaustion.
What if I don't want to bring my keys or other valuables with me while kayaking?
There are storage cubbies at the starting location in case you want to leave something behind, or don't want it to get wet. Anything you bring on the water has the potential to get wet. There are zip lock baggies available to you, keep in mind, they are water resistant, not water proof. There are water proof dry bags available for rent.
What if it rains?
The guides make the call on weather at the time the tour starts. Predictions don't mean anything in Chicago, so come prepared to paddle. If at the time the event begins, there are any signs of severe weather, the tour will then be canceled and rescheduled. If the tour is canceled due to weather, you will have a rain check to reschedule for another date of your choice.
Other Chicago Gift Ideas:(View all 67 Chicago experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Fly a CessnaAvg Rating of: 5(28)From: $219
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(8)From: $375
- NASCAR Stock Car Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 4-half(28)From: $109
- Drive a NASCAR Stock CarAvg Rating of: 4-half(14)From: $488
- Walking Food Tour of ChicagoAvg Rating of: 4-half(65)From: $50
- Architectural Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 5(12)From: $76
- Sunset PaddleAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $65
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Chicago Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(13)From: $136
- All Chicago Experiences
"Fantastic experience kayaking down the Chicago River -- what a great way to see the city. Guides were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Three hours on the water is a long time paddling if you're not used to it, so be prepared for tired arms!"
"It was a getaway I had surprised my husband with and am so glad I did! It was a blast and I would go again."
"We had a wonderful time paddling around the city and we can't wait to try it again!"