- Tour visits Gold Coast and Old Town
- 7 food tastings, rich history, treasured architecture and neighborhood stories
- Award winning pizzeria, gourmet chocolate and cheese shops, and more tasty stops
- This unique food tour will have you leave feeling like a native Chicagoan
Enjoy this unique food tasting and cultural walking tour through Chicago's most delicious and historic neighborhoods.
Suitable for all age groups and fitness levels, you will have a true "locals" experience and will feel like a native Chicagoan.
Your guided and fully narrated tour includes mouth-watering food tastings from one of a kind specialty food shops and ethnic eateries as well as an insider's view of Chicago highlighting the rich history, treasured architecture, dazzling entertainment offerings, and neighborhood restaurants.
Gain a unique glimpse into hidden parks, historic mansions, offbeat venues, and majestic row houses while traversing Chicago's famous tree lined streets.
After the tour, explore Chicago with confidence and take advantage of its full spectrum of cuisine, entertainment, and cultural offerings on and off the beaten path.
Delicious food specialties served on the Tour may include:
- Award winning Chicago stuffed pizzeria (est. 1971)
- America's top spice & herb specialty shop (est. 1957)
- An authentic European bakery & pastry shop (est. 1998)
- An aged balsamic vinegar and olive oil specialty store (est. 2007)
- A high end specialty loose tea and tisanes merchant (est. 1978)
- A chocolate confectioner and fudge shop (est. 1963)
- Chicago's first Japanese style restaurant (est. 1967)
- This tour visits the Gold Coast and Old Town neighborhoods
- All tastings are included in the price
- You will visit 7 different locations that will happily fill most stomachs
- Vegetarian options can be substituted for meat tastings; please notify us at the time of booking
- The tour will not finish at the starting point; a map and return instructions will be provided
- Gratuity for the tour guide is not included but is appreciated if you enjoy the tour
What to Bring:
- Be sure to bring your camera, because there are plenty of photo opportunities during the tour
- It is also recommended for participants to bring sun glasses, sun screen and a hat during the summer months
- We love pets too, but because the tour visits food establishments, you'll need to leave your pets at home
This tour covers about 1-1.5 miles over 3 hours.
This tour is enjoyed by up to 20 people.
This experience is only for those booked on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
You will be on your feet and outdoors for most of the 3 hours, so please wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes. Flip-flops, high heels, and dress-shoes are not recommended. Umbrellas on rainy days, warm layers on cold days, and cool clothing on hot days will make your experience much more enjoyable.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance of intended date of use.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, all bookings for this experience are final.
How much food is served on the food tour?
The tour serves enough food that lunch afterward is not necessary for most participants. However, please understand that the food tour is not intended to replace breakfast and lunch combined, so please consider eating breakfast before the tour.
How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
Tours generally last between 3 and 3.5 hours and participants can expect to be standing or walking for a majority of the time. Waling is at a moderate pace and there are at least two resting locations for at least 45 minutes total.
Do your tours have anything to offer a native Chicagoan?
A majority of attendees live in Chicago. Chicago locals participate to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live in as well as take advantage of knowing the best specialty food store locations and local restaurants in Chicago's tastiest neighborhoods, away from Downtown and traditional tourists.
Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory. The standard gratuity in the service industry is 15%.
What if I have dietary restrictions or allergies?
Be sure to note any dietary restrictions at the time of booking so accommodations can be made.
Can I shop during the tour?
We ask that you please wait to shop until after the tour so that we can stay on our food-tasting schedule and continue with the informative tour and food tastings in a timely manner. We ask you allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite locations and/or stores. The tours are on a schedule to arrive at each tasting location so its important to stay on schedule so the food is freshly prepared for the participants.
Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
Yes, routes and tasting establishments are wheelchair and baby stroller friendly and accessible.
Are any beverages served on the tour?
Water is provided throughout the tour.
Do we only walk around and sample food?
Absolutely not! This tour combines architectural commentary, historical facts, local culture and culinary insight into a unique 3-hour experience. Imagine walking through Chicago eating our local artisans most delicious foods while learning the neighborhoods from real locals.
Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
The tour does not finish at the same meeting point, but your guide will provide a map and directions at the end of the tour.
What happens if it rains or snows?
The tours are held in rain, shine, or snow. If necessary, ponchos will be provided, but be sure to dress according to the weather conditions.
Are bathrooms available during the tour?
Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
Are cameras allowed on the tour?
Yes! Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour.
Is there parking near the tour meeting point?
Yes, specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions found in your booking confirmation email.
Other Chicago Gift Ideas:(View all 63 Chicago experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Stock Car Ride AlongFrom: $109Avg Rating of: 4-half(22)
- Drive a Stock CarFrom: $488Avg Rating of: 4-half(13)
- Walking Food Tour of ChicagoFrom: $50Avg Rating of: 4-half(52)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Architectural Kayak TourFrom: $65Avg Rating of: 5(6)
- Sunset PaddleFrom: $55Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- Fly a CessnaFrom: $219Avg Rating of: 5(17)
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterFrom: $375Avg Rating of: 5(6)
- Chicago Lakefront Bike TourFrom: $46Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- All Chicago Experiences
"I had a great time on the Walking Food Tour on Saturday with Jessica. Jessica was very friendly and engaging and fantastic representative for your company. My only feedback would be that at the oil shop I would have preferred to try some of the olive oils without vinegars mixed into them, maybe less information at the tea shop, and I would have liked a little more information about the origin of some of the foods - where they are produced locally (if that was possible). I also think that many people that are interested in food tours would be interested in market locations around Chicago and so maybe could be included in your maps. Maybe another tour idea for a Saturday morning? "
"It was a great tour and our guide Amber was terrific. We learned about the food and also the history of the neighborhood. Very fun. "