Near North Side - Chicago, IL
March - November:
Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays - 11:00 AM
Fridays, Saturdays, & Sundays - 11:00 AM
- Enjoy up to 7 food tastings and visitswithin the epicurean hot-spot Near North areaof the Gold Coast and Old Town
- Enjoy the best of Chicagos restaurants while tasting local foods from mom and pop specialty food stores, famous Chicago attractions and one-of-a-kind ethnic eateries
- Perfect for Chicago natives and tourists interested in exploring their inner foodie with various samples of famous Chicago foods
- This unique food tour will have you leave feeling like a native Chicagoan
Enjoy this unique food tasting and cultural walking tour through Chicago's most delicious and historic neighborhoods.
Suitable for all age groups and fitness levels, you will have a true "locals" experience and will feel like a native Chicagoan.
Your guided and fully narrated tour includes mouth-watering food tastings from one of a kind specialty food shops and ethnic eateries as well as an insider's view of Chicago highlighting the rich history, treasured architecture, dazzling entertainment offerings, and neighborhood restaurants.
Gain a unique glimpse into hidden parks, historic mansions, offbeat venues, and majestic row houses while traversing Chicago's famous tree lined streets.
After the tour, explore Chicago with confidence and take advantage of its full spectrum of cuisine, entertainment, and cultural offerings on and off the beaten path.
Delicious food specialties served on the Tour may include (and are subject to change):
- Award winning Chicago stuffed pizzeria (est. 1971)
- America's top spice & herb specialty shop (est. 1957)
- An authentic European bakery & pastry shop (est. 1998)
- An aged balsamic vinegar and olive oil specialty store (est. 2007)
- A high end specialty loose tea and tisanes merchant (est. 1978)
- A chocolate confectioner and fudge shop (est. 1963)
- Chicago's first Japanese style restaurant (est. 1967)
- This tour visits the Near North area of the Gold Coast and Old Town
- All tastings are included in the price
- You will visit up to 7 locations that will happily fill most stomachs
- Vegetarian options can be substituted for meat tastings; please notify us at the time of booking
- The tour will not finish at the starting point; a map and return instructions will be provided
- Gratuity for the tour guide is not included but is appreciated if you enjoy the tour
- Pets are not allowed on this tour
This tour covers about 1-1.5 miles over 3 hours.
This tour is enjoyed by up to 20 people.
This experience is only for those booked on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
You will be on your feet and outdoors for most of the 3 hours, so please wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes. It is recommended for participants to bring sun glasses, sun screen and a hat during the summer months. Flip-flops, high heels, and dress-shoes are not recommended. Umbrellas on rainy days, warm layers on cold days, and cool clothing on hot days will make your experience much more enjoyable.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance of intended date of use.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, all bookings for this experience are final.
How much food is served on the food tour?
The tour serves enough food that lunch afterward is not necessary for most participants. However, please understand that the food tour is not intended to replace breakfast and lunch combined, so please consider eating breakfast before the tour.
How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
Tours generally last between 3 and 3.5 hours and participants can expect to be standing or walking for a majority of the time. Waling is at a moderate pace and there are at least two resting locations for at least 45 minutes total.
Do your tours have anything to offer a native Chicagoan?
A majority of attendees live in Chicago. Chicago locals participate to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live in as well as take advantage of knowing the best specialty food store locations and local restaurants in Chicago's tastiest neighborhoods, away from Downtown and traditional tourists.
Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory. The standard gratuity in the service industry is 15%.
What if I have dietary restrictions or allergies?
Be sure to note any dietary restrictions at the time of booking so accommodations can be made.
Can I shop during the tour?
We ask that you please wait to shop until after the tour so that we can stay on our food-tasting schedule and continue with the informative tour and food tastings in a timely manner. We ask you allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite locations and/or stores. The tours are on a schedule to arrive at each tasting location so its important to stay on schedule so the food is freshly prepared for the participants.
Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
Yes, routes and tasting establishments are wheelchair and baby stroller friendly and accessible.
Are any beverages served on the tour?
Water is provided throughout the tour.
Do we only walk around and sample food?
Absolutely not! This tour combines architectural commentary, historical facts, local culture and culinary insight into a unique 3-hour experience. Imagine walking through Chicago eating our local artisans most delicious foods while learning the neighborhoods from real locals.
Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
The tour does not finish at the same meeting point, but your guide will provide a map and directions at the end of the tour.
What happens if it rains or snows?
The tours are held in rain, shine, or snow. If necessary, ponchos will be provided, but be sure to dress according to the weather conditions.
Are bathrooms available during the tour?
Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
Are cameras allowed on the tour?
Yes! Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour.
Is there parking near the tour meeting point?
Yes, specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions found in your booking confirmation email.
Other Chicago Gift Ideas:(View all 75 Chicago experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Fly a CessnaAvg Rating of: 5(28)From: $219
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(9)From: $375
- NASCAR Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 4-half(28)From: $109
- Drive a NASCARAvg Rating of: 4-half(14)From: $488
- Walking Food Tour of ChicagoAvg Rating of: 4-half(67)From: $52
- Architectural Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 5(12)From: $76
- Sunset PaddleAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $65
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Chicago Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(13)From: $143
- All Chicago Experiences
"Our Gold Coast/Old Town food tour was spectacular. It was a great sampling of food with fun trivia about Chicago, and Kent (our tour guide) was engaging and intelligent. "
"Enjoyed all the stops that we made. Enjoyed the food and learning about the neighborhoods!"
"Our food tour in Chicago by far exceeded our expectations! Our guide was wonderful; he kept us moving but we never felt rushed. We learned a lot at each of our stops and on the walk from place to place. The "samples" from the restaurants and shops were very generous. We did not leave hungry! We would definitely recommend it to others and would love to take another tour sometime in the future."