Intro to Hang Gliding Course
Aerodrome WesMar, Orient, OH
Year-round, weather permitting.
Saturdays and Sundays typically at 8:00 AM.
*Evening courses are available during the week May through July.
- U.S. Hang Gliding Association certified instructor
- Ground school will orientate you with your glider, how to hold and lift the glider and teach you basic weight shift control
- Put your new knowledge to use on your first few tows, as you develop your skills close to the ground
- Experience the freedom of this unique form of flight, you are on your way to becoming a hang gliding pilot!
The perfect experience for the hang glider to be.
This course is a half day introduction to foot launched flight, learning training protocol, glider set up, preflight inspection, ground handling and landing skills.
Your hands-on learning will begin on flat ground. You will learn to launch a glider using a light tension towing winch. A tow operator will control the winch with a line connected to you and your glider.
The first several tows will be short and keep you a few feet above ground. You will be developing launch skills, learning towing procedures, getting a feel for the glider, and working on good landing practices.
As your skills improve the tows will be longer and take you a little higher off the ground.
By the end of the class you will be flying by yourself and landing on your own.
All participants must be able to fit safely into a harness and be in good physical condition. Participants weighing more than 240 pounds or taller than 6'5" may have difficulty fitting into the harness comfortably.
Participants under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign a consent form.
It is recommended to bring a water bottle and a snack with you on the day of your experience.
Up to 3 participants per class
Spectators are encouraged to watch from the air strip
This experience is very weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions. In the event of unfavorable weather, your experience provider will work with you to reschedule your course for a mutually convenient day.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions, including long pants and sneakers or lightweight hiking boots.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider
Other Columbus Gift Ideas:(View all 26 Columbus experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $119
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $285
- Tandem Hang Gliding FlightAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $150
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Dessert Tour (for 2+)From: $119
- Ethnic Eats Food Tour (for 2+)From: $129
- Taco Truck Food Tour (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 5(1)From: $119
- NASCAR Ride Along - MichiganFrom: $109
- Drive a NASCAR Stock Car - MichiganFrom: $538
- All Columbus Experiences