Los Angeles Hang Gliding Lesson
Dockweiler State Beach - Los Angeles, CA
Wednesday through Sunday
*Typically at 1:00 PM
- More than 100,000 flights have taken off at this hang gliding academy, which is the oldest and largest in Southern California.
- The owner and head instructor has been elected regional director of the U.S. Hang Gliding Association
- Ground school covers the theory behind hang gliding, basics like how to hold the glider and weight shift control
- Enjoy beach and ocean views as you take to the practice hill and use your new skills to experience flight!
This hang gliding lesson is the perfect experience for the hang glider to be. A state of the art lesson program makes it simpler and more enjoyable than ever to become a hang glider pilot!
You'll begin your flying lesson at beautiful Dockweiler State Beach Training Flight Park which was designed and built by the city of Los Angeles and is known as one of the safest and most efficient training slopes in the nation.
After a brief ground school you will put on your harness and pre-flight the glider.
Beginning midway up the hill you will begin your flight training. As your skills and confidence improve, you will progress up to the top of the hill.
Your hang gliding school has been in operation for over 30 years, is the oldest and largest hang gliding flight training academy in Southern California, and has had over 100,000 safe lesson flights flown. You are in good hands!
- Participants must be at least 5' tall and weigh between 90 and 260 lbs.
- Children under 18 years of age must have parental consent
- Please be prepared to pay a $5-7 parking fee
Up to 5 participants per class.
Visitors are strongly encouraged to come and visit the training parks.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions. We recommend long pants and comfortable running shoes.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 72 hours prior to your experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
Do I need to be really fit to hang glide?
Hang gliding requires no exceptional talent or skill. Almost anyone of average height, weight, and physical conditioning can learn. The most strenuous part of flying lessons is walking back up the training slopes.
If I'm afraid of heights, can I learn to fly?
Many hang glider pilots claim to be afraid of heights. If you enjoy flying in airplanes then you will probably be comfortable in a hang glider.
What should I bring to my lesson?
Wear long pants and comfortable running shoes. Please bring 1 liter of drinking water. Cameras are welcome. Be prepared to pay a $5-7 parking fee.
What time do lessons begin and end?
Lesson times vary with the seasons, and last approximately 3.5 to 4 hours. Winter classes begin at 1:00 PM, while summer classes are scheduled throughout the day.
How heavy is a hang glider?
The modern lightweight training gliders weigh about 50 pounds on the ground. But with just a little bit of wind they weigh almost nothing at all.
What happens if the weather is bad?
In the event of inclement weather, you will reschedule your experience for a future date directly with the experience provider. Please contact your experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
Other Los Angeles Gift Ideas:(View all 88 Los Angeles experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(24)From: $225
- Race a FerrariAvg Rating of: 4-half(14)From: $299
- Race a LamborghiniAvg Rating of: 4-half(9)From: $299
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterFrom: $375
- Los Angeles Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(44)From: $120
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(29)From: $90
- Bridge to Nowhere Bungee JumpAvg Rating of: 5(33)From: $149
- NASCAR Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $100
- Drive a NASCARAvg Rating of: 4-half(1)From: $355
- All Los Angeles Experiences