Introduction to Hang Gliding
- Flying students since 1978 with 5 times more pilots trained here than any other school in the U.S.
- United States Hangliding Association certified instructors; many of which have over 10,000 tandem flights logged
- Soar to spectacular views during the tandem flight!
- Train on 55 acres of pasture land on hills up to 100 feet high.
If you have ever dreamed of flight, or wondered what it would be like to pilot your own personal soaring craft, then your a perfect candidate to venture into the world of hang gliding.
You will fly your first flights in a controlled environment, surfing the slopes of our small hills, only about 5 to 10 feet off the ground. You will get five opportunities to fly from our small hill with a USGHA certified instructor guiding you step by step.
After your morning session you will fly tandem with an instructor by your side above beautiful Lookout Valley where you will build on your experience in learning to fly the glider.
A wonderful introduction to the purest form of flight!
Participants must be at least 12 years of age and weigh no more than 250 pounds.
Up to 4 per Instructor.
Allowed, you may watch the participant do the hang glide flight.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions and closed toed shoes. Sneakers are recommended.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider
How safe is hang gliding?
Hang gliding is as safe as the individual makes it. Like any form of sport aviation hang gliding requires careful training and execution. Our experience provider makes your safety a priority, they have the best equipment, a comprehensive training program, highly experienced staff and back up systems to ensure you are safe and have a wonderful experience.
How do you hold yourself up?
Pilots are suspended from their hang glider by a harness and hang strap system. You don't have to hold yourself up.
How fast do you fly?
The trim speed of a hang glider is about 18-20 mph. Trim speed is defined as the speed a glider is flying with the pilot is flying hands off. Most gliders stall at around 15 mph, are towed at about 33-35 mph and reach top speeds of 45-65 mph (depending on the glider model).
What is the difference between a hang glider and a para glider?
Unlike the rigid airframe that shapes the wing of a hang glider, a paragliding wing is maintained only by air pressure. This means that the hang glider wing is more stable and can be flown at higher speeds and in a larger range of wind conditions. Paraglider pilots fly in a supine or seated position unlike hang glider pilots who fly in a prone (laying down) position.
Other Nashville Experiences:(View all 17 Nashville experiences)
- Whitewater Raft the Middle OcoeeFrom: $70Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- Middle/Upper Ocoee RaftingFrom: $130
- Downtown Nashville Food TourFrom: $70Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- Guided Fly FishingFrom: $325Avg Rating of: 4-half(1)
- Couples Wine DinnerFrom: $280Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- SpaFinder Wellness Gift CertificateFrom: $100
- Group Wine TastingFrom: $320
- Harley Davidson RentalFrom: $189Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- All Nashville Experiences
- Gift Certificates