Saturdays - 12:00 PM, 2:30 PM & 4:30 PM
- Discover the magic behind molten glass as you learn a variety of glass blowing techniques from an expert instructor.
- Receive personalized, hands-on guidance from an artist with over 25 years of experience working with this unique art medium.
- Practice skills imperative to the art and science of glass blowing such as: safety, handling, blowing and Venetian cane techniques, color application, cold working, and casting.
- Choose from a range of glass blowing class options to best get your NYC art fix.
- Instructor's work is sold around the world in places such as the Museum of Modern Art.
Challenge your creative side through one of the art world’s most bizarre and beautiful mediums. Immerse yourself in one of the most innovative things to do in NYC as you explore the magic of a Private Glass Blowing Class!
Let your imagination run wild as you try your hand at a timeless art form. Enjoy the comfort, personalization and professionalism of learning in an exclusive studio setting. Absorb enticing topics surrounding the practice of glass blowing like its history, tools, skills and techniques, handling, cold working, color application, and more. Delight in a number of customized demonstrations, then give the methods a try for yourself!
Your instructor comes with over 25 years of expertise in this intriguing trade, including worldwide sales and serving as a featured artist in books and other media. So you know you’re in the most capable and experienced hands as you embark on this NYC art journey.
Your Private Glass Blowing Class comes with a variety of options from which to choose, depending on how many lessons you’d like (one or two), and whether you prefer to enjoy the instruction on your own or with a plus-one. Regardless of the nature of your lesson(s), rest assured you’ll finish with a handmade treasure that’s all your own, such as a paperweight or cup.
One-Class Option (2 Hours)
This one-time class is fantastic for beginners and starts out with a brief history of glass blowing, as well as the processes that are used. Next you’ll review some tools, and set up shop in the studio! Observe and practice "gathering" the glass to make a couple of small items (typically marbles or a flower). Finally, it’s time to go big before you go home for the day! Work your way up to creating a paperweight with vibrant layers of color, that’s sure to brighten up any work or shelf space.
Two-Class Option (2 Hours per Class)
Double the Private Glass Blowing Class fun with this two-part NYC art lesson! Your first session will entail the same instruction and hands-on practice as described above, for the one-class option. The second class will then start with a review of the first class, then jump right into learning how to start a bubble using a blowpipe. After a few attempts, you'll combine skills old and new to make a cup. Blow a bubble, use multiple gathers to increase the size, mold a lip, add color, and transfer your artwork using a punty (the iron rode used to handle the glass). And voila! You have yourself a new way to enjoy your favorite beverages.
- Participants must be at least 16 years old
- Participants under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent
- All levels are welcome and your class will cater toward your ability
- Materials and tools are included
- Students typically will take home handmade marbles and a paperweight so that they can show their work to the world
- Items must cool overnight in the oven, but will be available for pick-up
- Shipping fees will apply for items that cannot be picked up
2 hours per class
For 1 or 2 participants depending on the option selected.
This is a private glass blowing class.
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
Wear long sleeves and long pants made of cotton. Please also wear closed toed shoes and bring eyewear.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 30 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 14 days prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
Other New York Gift Ideas:(View all 130 New York experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Wine Tasting SailAvg Rating of: 4-half(58)From: $98
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(24)From: $152
- Learn to Fly a Helicopter - Pittstown, NJAvg Rating of: 5(13)From: $350
- Learn to Fly a Helicopter - Westchester, NYAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $340
- Stock Car Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 5(34)From: $139
- Drive a Stock CarAvg Rating of: 5(27)From: $549
- Chocolate, Dessert & Drink TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(36)From: $59
- Best of Brooklyn Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(36)From: $125
- Race a FerrariFrom: $388
- All New York Experiences
"Kevin was very knowledgeable, helpful, and a good teacher, not to mention experienced. I later learned he's been doing glassblowing since 1969! I bought the lesson for two for me and my girlfriend. After introducing ourselves to Kevin, he went through some basics with us with demonstrations and safety precautions, then we dove right in. While being able to work with the glass ourselves was fun, it was even more rewarding to be able to watch the master at work with a demonstration when we had some extra time. I'm definitely interested in continuing with a second class. "
"Kevin explained glass-making techniques and safely instructed us in making a few small objects. Kevin certainly knows what he is doing. I think a bit more about the history of glass blowing and his personal background would have enhanced the experience. Perhaps he could have demonstrated blowing glass himself. We watched others doing it, but it would have been nice to see Kevin do it himself. "
"I booked this class as a birthday present for my partner, and we had a great time! Kevin was extremely knowledgeable and talked us through everything. We managed to make some great paperweights. Fantastic experience!"