Lower East Side - New York, NY
Daily - 10:00 AM
- Your friendly, knowledgeable guides have been featured in the New York Times, USA Today online, WNBC and Time Out New York
- Walk through the Lower East Side, Chinatown and Little Italy to view unique cultural historic sites
- Enjoy 5-7 tastings of different ethnic dishes corresponding to the group that lived in the neighborhood
- Hear some amazing stories of those who came to New York in pursuit of the American Dream
On the Tenements, Tales and Tastes Tour, you will take an immigrant's journey down tenement-lined streets of areas known by names like Kleindeutschland, Chinatown and Losaida around New York's Lower East Side, where you will learn about different immigrant groups and enjoy their culinary treats.
Your journey will begin at City Hall where many formalize their citizenship. Here, you'll learn about the Dutch and enjoy a unique breakfast treat. From the northern edge of the colonial city, you will stroll through the neighborhood visiting 100-year-old bakeries, markets, churches and historic sites. You will hear stories of Lucky Luciano in Little Italy, be amazed by former and still operating synagogues and Jewish clothing stores, and learn about Latin culture at the Essex St. Market. You will also see cultural sites like the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, the African Burial Ground, and end finish your tour on the crowded streets of Chinatown.
All along the journey, you will enjoy amazing food like knishes, tacos and dumplings, and you will hear fascinating immigrant stories.
Discover how New York City has become the melting pot that it is, and experience the culinary and cultural legacy left by those who have passed through in pursuit of the American Dream.
- Price includes food tastings, a tour map of the neighborhood, a bottle of water and your knowledgeable tour guide
- Children 5 years of age and under who are not participating in tastings may attend the tour free of charge
This tour will last 3 hours with approximately 1-2 miles of walking.
You will be accompanied by other tour participants, with a maximum of 12 per tour. For groups larger than 6, please contact Cloud 9 Living for pricing.
This experience is only for those on the tour.
Tours run rain or shine. There will be no cancellations due to weather unless experience provider cancels the tour due to safety concerns.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing and shoes appropriate for expected weather conditions and walking.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 72 hours prior to the experience for a $10 fee per ticket payable to the experience provider. Failure to appear on your booked date or reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
What happens in the event of inclement weather?
This tour runs rain or shine. However, the experience provider does reserve the right to cancel the tour if the weather conditions are dangerous. You would be contacted at least 2.5 hours before your tour if this were the case.
How far will we walk on the tour?
This tour involves approximately 1 to 2 miles of walking.
Will there be opportunities to use the restroom during the tour?
Yes, there will be an opportunity to use the restroom during the tour.
Will there be opportunities to sit down during the tour?
Yes, there will be at least one opportunity to sit down during the tour.
Are children allowed on the tour?
Children 5 years of age and under who are not participating in tastings may attend the tour free of charge.
Is gratuity included?
Gratuity for your guide is not included but is always appreciated.
Other New York Gift Ideas:(View all 125 New York experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Wine Tasting SailAvg Rating of: 4-half(58)From: $98
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(23)From: $152
- Learn to Fly a Helicopter - Pittstown, NJAvg Rating of: 5(13)From: $350
- Learn to Fly a Helicopter - Westchester, NYAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $340
- Stock Car Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 5(34)From: $139
- Drive a Stock CarAvg Rating of: 5(27)From: $549
- Chocolate, Dessert & Drink TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(36)From: $59
- Best of Brooklyn Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(36)From: $125
- Tandem Hang GlidingAvg Rating of: 4-half(4)From: $200
- All New York Experiences
"So, my daughter decided to give us this tour as an anniversary gift. She had given us one of these tour before, and we loved it so much, she decided to give us another one. What made this one special was our guide, Brian Hoffman. His enthusiasm and knowledge truly made this an exceptional experience. It combined the best of history, sightseeing and local flavor. We would not hesitate to recommend this tour to anyone coming to NYC."
"Our guide, Brian Hoffman, was excellent in every way. His knowledge, enthusiasm, and positive personality made our tour wonderful!"
"Native New Yorkers so there were a couple of facts we did not know, guide was knowledgeable and aimed to please. We are active seniors but the long walk without a break to sit down was difficult , the walking was fast paced and we were just worn out at the end. A break with a place to sit down in the middle would have been good. We regularly walk a mile to a mile and 1/2 each day at a minimum but this did wear us out, I even fell , a first for me, I was just so tired."