Zamperini Field - Torrance, CA
Daily - 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM
*Pending pilot availability
- Fly in a Cessna 172, the world's most popular flight training aircraft
- Learn from an experienced FAA Certified Flight Instructor who will guide you throughout the flight
- After a ground lesson and orientation, you are ready to take the controls and fly
- You are at the controls throughout the entire flight lesson, from starting the engine to landing the plane!
- No experience necessary
This Learn to Fly experience is the ultimate hands-on flight lesson for anyone who has ever dreamed of flying!
You begin your flight experience with a 20 minute ground lesson. Here, you learn the basics of the airplane's flight controls and how to perform every aspect of flight. After your ground lesson and orientation, you know how to do everything required and are ready for flight.
As you climb into the plane and buckle up, you're excited and prepared for the flight. You start the engine, taxi the airplane to the runway and get ready for takeoff.
Your certified instructor will handle take off and landing of the aircraft, but mid-flight you will take the controls and feel what it's like to fly.
This experience will give you a deep understanding of how a plane works and what a typical flight school lesson is like.
This is an exhilarating hands-on experience that is sure to be remembered for a lifetime!
Basic Flight:A 45-60 minute flight departs from the Torrance airport and flies south of Palos Verdes. You fly along the cliff-lined coast of Palos Verdes, near the Donald Trump golf course, over Los Angeles Harbor, the Queen Mary, downtown Long Beach and the Vincent Thomas Bridge.
VIP Flight: A 60-90 minute flight that follows the same path as the Basic Flight, but also includes a variety of L.A. area sites including but not limited to LAX, Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica Pier, Pacific Palisades, Getty Center, UCLA, Playboy Mansion, Universal Studios, Hollywood Bowl, Beverly Center, Hollywood Sign, Staples Center and more.
- Individual participants cannot weigh more than 220 pounds
- Total weight of all participants cannot exceed 535 pounds
- All participants must be able to safely wear a seat belt which is 40 inches in length
- In addition to the flight, you will receive a free subscription to Flight Training magazine
Basic Flight: Approximately 45-60 minutes. VIP Flight: Approximately 60-90 minutes.
Depending on the flight option selected, the student may bring 1 or 2 passengers with them on the flight pending weight restrictions.
Spectators are welcome to observe the takeoff and landing from the ramp at the airport.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, canceling and rescheduling is allowed up to 72 hours prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date may result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
Are there any age requirements?
You can be any age to start flying lessons! Kids as young as 4 years old have flown in the pilot seat with a parent as a passenger.
Are there any weight restrictions?
For safety reasons, individual participants cannot weigh more than 220 pounds and the total weight of all participants cannot exceed 535 pounds. All participants must be able to safely buckle a seat belt which is 40 inches in length.
Is it safe?
Safety is their number one priority. All of the the flight training airplanes have inspections every 50 hours (typically it is every 100 hours but they take it even further). They do this to ensure their airplanes are operating at their best.
What type of airplane will I fly?
Newer Cessna 172S model high wing airplanes, with fuel injected 180HP engines are used for the flight lessons. They have analog flight instruments and modern avionics including GPS color maps, dual axis autopilot, electric trim, electronic transponder, dual NAV/COMM radios
Other Orange County Gift Ideas:(View all 57 Orange County experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Race a FerrariAvg Rating of: 5(7)From: $299
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $225
- Newport Beach Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(15)From: $122
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(15)From: $92
- NASCAR Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 5(5)From: $100
- NASCAR Driving ExperienceAvg Rating of: 4-half(2)From: $355
- Learn to Fly a Helicopter - Redondo BeachFrom: $375
- Scenic Biplane Ride for 2Avg Rating of: 5(6)From: $219
- Newport Beach Whale WatchingFrom: $78
- All Orange County Experiences
"Jared from the flight school was a great instructor. Very thorough and patient during the experience and made flying fun!"
"I gave my partner a flying lesson as her birthday experience. We do a new experience every year and this experience really was one of the best ones yet. The pilot (Jeremy) was super -- great instructor and lots of fun. Have already recommended this experience to many of my friends! (Can't wait to do it again!)"
"Amazing experience, great instructor, and overall really fun day!"