Guided Fly Fishing
April - October:
- Fish a frequently stocked portion of the Youghiogheny River
- Float downstream as your private local guide maneuvers your boat into hidden holes and local hatches
- All levels of experience welcome
- Learn new fishing and casting techniques from your professional guide
The Youghiogheny River offers a classic big river fishing experience.
Your skilled boatmen will use oar rigs to maneuver you into those hard to cast places: that hidden hole or around that pesky branch. Their fly fishing expertise will guide you through the day, teaching you casting techniques or perfecting your existing skills and sharing their knowledge on local hatches.
Your day long trip will take you to the middle section of the Yough River. This frequently stocked area makes for a superb start to the day. The next nine miles are a breathtaking assortment of mixed riffles, pools, rolling flats and pocket water galore. In summer, when most area streams are too low and warm to be fished, the Yough is still prime with good insect activity and rising lunker trout.
With its classic big river characteristic, jaw-dropping scenery, to the clock hatches, and pole bending trout, this trip truly is a fisherman's dream come true.
The outfitter DOES NOT provide fishing licenses or tackle. Price includes rafting equipment and lunch.
The on-site ORVIS shop has extensive fly fishing gear and supplies, from rods and reels, to flies and tippet for purchase.
This trip is primarily a float trip, however based on your needs and wants, as well as the water levels and stream conditions it can be a wading trip.
Must be at least 10 years of age to participate.
Guide to guest ratio: 1:2
*For Fly Fishing for 2, an additional instructor fee of up to $75 may be applicable if one is necessary. This will depend on the difference in ability levels of the participants and can be payable to your provider on the day of the experience.
Up to 4
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Depending on the season, different clothing is recommended. During the winter months, dress in layers. During the summer months, wear quick drying shorts and river sandals. Regardless of season, it is not recommended to wear cotton. Bring a hat and pair of polorized sunglasses as well.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 14 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Other Pittsburgh Gift Ideas:(View all 25 Pittsburgh experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $195
- Stock Car Ride Along - Pocono RacewayAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $139
- Drive a Stock Car - Pocono RacewayAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $549
- Northside Historical Food Tour (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 5(1)From: $84
- Little Italy Food Tour (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 3-half(1)From: $84
- Ultimate Zip Line Adventure CourseFrom: $49
- Pittsburgh Scenic Helicopter TourAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $365
- Lower Yough Rafting TripAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $74
- Upper Yough Whitewater RaftingFrom: $152
- All Pittsburgh Experiences
"I have fished with quite a few outfitters and guides and this operation is one of the best. A very professional and accommodating outfitter. Ryan was our guide and was super knowledgeable and helpful. He put us on fish all day long and let us fish the way we wanted to. We had a great day and I cant wait to go back. "
"I would say this is probably the best experience I have ever had with the exception of marrying my wife and having my children. The guide (Ryan) was just awesome to talk to and to enjoy the day fishing with. Very knowledgeable, experienced and down to earth to where you just feel very comfortable. The rivers were just incredibly beautiful. Thank you for an awesome time and I will see you next year for my floating flyfishing guide tour. Kudos to all involved in putting this experience together."