Upper Yough Whitewater Rafting
April - October:
Friday, Saturday and Monday - 11:00 AM & 12:30 PM
- 11 miles of Class IV & V rapids on the Upper Youghiogheny River
- First whitewater rafting company on the east coast with over 40 years of experience
- Some rafting experience recommended, for this action packed experience
- Deli style picnic lunch included
Are you ready for one of the crown jewels of East Coast whitewater? This Class IV-V river is truly a classic. Tumbling down through the mountains of Western Maryland, this trip is more like running a steep creek than running a river.
Fast paced and action packed, you have to be on your toes, ready to paddle hard and follow the commands of your expert guide!
The first two miles of the Upper Yough is deceivingly calm and tranquil. Enjoy it! Soon you'll be dropping into heart-pumping Class IV & V rapids, tight chutes, and powerful wave trains.
Once back on land, enjoy lunch, a nice cold beverage, and sit back to enjoy a beautiful Appalachian evening and swap river stories till it?s time to hit the road.
Because this section of the river is rated Class IV-V+, previous experience is highly recommended.
Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
To open a new trip, the minimum requirement is 6 people. If you are joining an existing trip, there is not a minimum requirement.
Lunch is later in the day, after your trip, so you won't want to start the day hungry. We recommend bringing an energy bar if you think you'll need it.
Up to 80
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Shoes you can get wet and they will stay on your feet. Everyone must wear shoes. Bathing suit, shorts, quick dry tank tops and t-shirts are all good options.If it's cold out: Wetsuits are available to rent for $10 or splash jackets for $5. Do not wear cotton. Sweatshirts, jeans, long sleeve T's are not a good idea. Wet cotton will make you colder instead of warmer. If you have any thermal long underwear or rain jackets/pants bring those.Sunscreen & sunglasses are always good to have.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date, cancel, or reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Do I need prior experience?
It is highly recommended to have prior experience for the Upper Yough. Class V means a lot of action and there is always the risk of swimming. It is suggested to try your skills on the Lower Yough before venturing to the Upper Yough.
Is there a place to check in once I get there?
Yes, there is a changing room and restrooms once you get on site.
What should I wear?
Definitely shoes that will stay on your feet, no flip flops are allowed. During the hot summer days, you will be ok in shorts and a t-shirt. On the chiller days, dress like you would to go skiing. There are wet suits for rent ($10) if you wish. Bring a dry change of clothes for after you get off the river.
Other Pittsburgh Gift Ideas:(View all 25 Pittsburgh experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $195
- Stock Car Ride Along - Pocono RacewayAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $139
- Drive a Stock Car - Pocono RacewayAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $549
- Northside Historical Food Tour (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 5(1)From: $84
- Little Italy Food Tour (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 3-half(1)From: $84
- Ultimate Zip Line Adventure CourseFrom: $49
- Pittsburgh Scenic Helicopter TourAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $365
- Lower Yough Rafting TripAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $74
- Upper Yough Whitewater RaftingFrom: $152
- All Pittsburgh Experiences