Fly a Helicopter
Daily - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
*Pending pilot availability
- Fly with a FAA certified and experienced flight instructor
- Includes 30 minutes of pre-flight ground instruction and a 30-minute flight
- Experience hovering, take-off, landing, rearward and sideways flying
- Discover the unparalleled sensation of flying a helicopter!
Have you always dreamed of taking the controls of a helicopter and soaring upward toward the sky? Now is your chance to learn the basics of flying a helicopter with this fun and exhilarating experience.
Take the controls of a Robinson R44 helicopter with an experienced instructor at your side. You'll start out with 30 minutes of pre-flight ground school where you'll learn about helicopter safety and how a helicopter flies.
Next it's time to climb on-board and prepare for an experience you'll never forget. During your 30 minutes of flight time, you'll get the chance to take the controls and enjoy the unique sensation of flying a helicopter. Experience hovering, takeoff and landing, sideways and rearward flight, and more.
You'll even be given a helicopter pilot logbook and you can log your first lesson. This experience is sure to leave you full of excitement and lasting memories.
- All passengers must present a valid passport or driver's license
- Combined weight limit for all 3 passengers is 600 pounds; maximum weight per seat is 300 pounds with a height limit of 6'4"
- No bags, with the exception of cameras, will be allowed on your flight
- Participants will be required to sign a liability release form
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled start time
Approximately 1 hour with 30 minutes of ground school and 30 minutes of flight time.
Private one-on-one instruction with your flight instructor and up to 2 passengers.
Friends and family are encouraged to attend and can watch you prepare for your flight, take-off and land!
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear closed toe shoes (no flip-flops) and comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7-14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
What happens if the weather is bad?
On a flight day your instructors will assess the aviation weather forecast for the conditions at 2,000 feet for the the day over a 50 mile radius to determine if the flight can proceed. In the event of inclement weather, flights may be postponed or canceled in the interest of passenger safety.
What should I wear?
Sensible footwear is advised as the majority of launch locations are field sites. Your clothing should be appropriate for the weather conditions. The interior of the helicopter is as ward as the inside of a car.
Can I take photos?
Of course! The helicopter offers outstanding visibilty for all passengers, so you should be able to take some memorable souvenir shots/video footage.
Can I take a cell phone?
Yes, but all phones need to be switched to off prior to embarking the helicopter.
Is there an age restriction?
Not really, however it is recommended that each person is at least 12 years of age.
Other Rhode Island Gift Ideas:(View all 15 Rhode Island experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Newport Cocktail SailAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $64
- Newport Sunset SailAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $82
- Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $314
- Helicopter Sunset TourAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $325
- Stock Car Ride AlongFrom: $149
- Drive a Stock CarAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $199
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Playing Lesson with a PGA ProAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $120
- Morning Mimosa Sail in NewportAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $64
- All Rhode Island Experiences
"Our instructor/pilot (Steve) was very personable, professional and reassuring. My son, 12, who was the student-pilot, was guided in a positive and patient manner. I rode along and witnessed Steve's teaching methods and observed his positive feedback. This was a great experience for all of us! "