Aerobatic Biplane Thrill Ride
Sonoma Valley Airport - Sonoma, CA
Saturdays and Sundays Walk-in Appointments from 10:30 AM to 3:30 PM
April through Early-November:
Monday, Thursday, and Fridays - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Pilots have over 85 years of flying experience
- Inverts, loops, barrel rolls, hammer heads, & Cuban 8's thousands of feet above the Earth!
- 1941 vintage Boeing PT-17 Stearman Biplane, WWII pilot trainer
- Magnificent views of the stunning Northern California countryside
Feel the wind in your face as you speed down the runway and lift off into the clear blue sky in a 1941 WWII Stearman biplane. The Earth descends below you and you feel the freedom of the open cockpit in this aerobatic flight over the beautiful Northern California countryside.
Once comfortably in the air, your pilot will give you the signal and it's time to hold on. Get ready to experience the thrill of inverting to "down is up"; pull up into a Loop, a Barrel Roll and a Hammer Head - and if you're still "thumbs up" and smiling, you will go into the famous Cuban Eight!
The 20 minute flight takes you over the breathtaking fields and vineyards of Sonoma and the Napa Valley where, from just a few hundred feet above the ground, you can appreciate the rolling hills and acres of green pastures from an inverted perspective!
The 40 minute flight offers 3 scenic routes (weather dependent):
- The Wine Country Tour - Catch an Eagle's view of a world renowned vineyards of the Sonoma and Napa Valleys, heading east across the bucolic Cameros region to Napa, turn north to St. Helena, west to Glen Ellen the back south through the lush Sonoma Valley. Grapes galore
- West to the Pacific - Fly over rolling hills and open pastures of Sonoma, Novato, and Petaluma; then head out to the Tomales Bay and absorb the majestic magnificence of the Pacific Ocean.
- Spires of the City - Drift south towards San Francisco. A panoramic outlook of the Sausalito and Tiburon Harbors; outlying views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin Headlands, the circle Mt. Tamalpais en route to Point Reyes and your safe Sonoma return.
Hold on to your hat, because you are about the experience aerobatic flying at its best!
The Boeing PT-17 Stearman is the first aircraft a cadet would fly during flight training prior to and during World War II. Known for its stability and strength, the Stearman was a reliable primary trainer and remains a popular classic today.
Your 1941 Stearman has been modified to accommodate 2 people in the front cockpit. The seat is 32" across so the seating is cozy.
You are welcome to bring cameras, but they must have a leash so that they do not fly out of the plane! Children must be at least 40 inches tall and children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult. Please note the front passenger cockpit is only 32" bench seat, so fitting two passengers is very cozy. Due to the volatility of fuel costs, passengers may be subject to a surcharge of up to $25.
20 or 40 minutes of flight time.
2 per plane
Certainly, there is a picnic area for you to observe from.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions. We recommend dressing in layers and avoiding windbreakers as they tend to fill with air. A cloth flying helmet and ear plugs are provided. If you would like to take a camera on board, please make sure it has a strap (leash) to secure around your wrist or neck.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
Is an aerobatic flight right for me?
If you like adventure and the thrill of a roller coaster, you will love the aerobatics.
Can I take control of the airplane?
In the Biplanes, all passenger cockpit controls have been removed to safely accommodate two passengers.
Is it safe?
Safety is always a priority. For 30 years they have maintained a perfect flying safety record and each aircraft is maintained to meet the highest FAA maintenance standards.
Can I bring a camera or camcorder?
Yes! But your camera MUST have a strap. A camera with a wide-angle or panoramic lens is best, but even a throw-away camera will capture this unforgettable experience. A camcorder is OK as long as it is one of the smaller hand held types.
Other Sacramento Gift Ideas:(View all 25 Sacramento experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly a PlaneAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $150
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $350
- Zipline AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $90
- Zipline and Moaning Cavern AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $175
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Sacramento Walking Food TourAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $65
- Origins of Sacramento Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(4)From: $62
- Moaning Cavern Caving AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $130
- Mammoth Cave AdventureFrom: $99
- All Sacramento Experiences
"I went on the aerobatic biplane flight. It was a surprise for my birthday. The flight itself was amazing! I wish I could have flown longer. The pilot was great at the tricks, I was just a bit disappointed in his laissez faire demeanor. The pilot was nice but very unenthusiastic. I realize he has been flying for 40 years and it's probably a bit old to him, but to someone who has never gone up, it would have been nice to have someone be excited too --- especially since he was flying! I would recommend this experience because the flight was worth it, but that is my only complaint. When I called, they were amazing at Cloud 9 Living!! They handled all my concerns and seem caring! Thank you! Next I want to do the combat flight!!"
"My experience was the two-person, 40-minute aerobatic biplane ride in Sonoma, CA. Our pilot, Chris, is top-notch and a class act! Our flight was second to none, and I wouldn't change any part of it if I could! The weather was perfect with sunny skies, which provided clear views of the Napa Valley and Pacific Coast. From the time we lifted off until we were back on the ground, I felt like we were in great hands! The aerobatic maneuvers were such a thrill and performed with precision! This is an unforgettable experience that should be on every thrill-seeker's bucket list! Thank you to Cloud 9 Living for a thrill of a lifetime!"
"My husband ended up going on the airplane ride with me. That was a great idea. It would not have been as fun by myself. The lady who signed us in and the pilot were both wonderful; friendly and knowledgeable. The plane ride started out peaceful and relaxed. Flying over the wine country is lovely. But then the air got warmer. The pilot started doing the loops and the rolls. He made us put our thumbs up after each one to show we were okay and we wanted more. I thought it was thrilling. My husband closed his eyes through parts and was not always aware of what we were doing. Keep your eyes open and enjoy the fun!"