Monday through Friday - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Saturdays and Sundays - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Providing underground tours for over 30 years
- Largest vertical chamber open to the public in California - could hold the Statue of Liberty!
- Start your adventure with a 165-foot rope rappel into the cavern
- Expert guides will explain the history and geology of the cavern
- To add even more thrills, check out our Zipline & Moaning Cavern Adventure!
Moaning Cavern is home to the largest vertical chamber open to the public in California. A massive space so vast it could hold the Statue of Liberty!
Start your cave exploration with a 165-foot rope rappel into the darkness of the cavern below.
Most areas are undeveloped, so there are no lights, stairs, or walkways. Instead, you will daringly explore chasms, tunnels and tight spaces by climbing and belly crawling with lighted helmets to show the way.
Guides explain the history and geology of the cavern, and discuss the explorations that have traced the cavern to its current depth of 410 feet.
The tour ends on the spot where scientific excavations revealed the bones of prehistoric people who had fallen into the cavern thousands of years ago.
- Participants must be at least 12 yrs old, 4 ft tall and weigh between 100 - 260 lbs
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult and all participants must sign a waiver
- Participants must be in good physical condition and able to rappel down a 165-foot drop into the main chamber of the cavern
- Crawling, squatting and sitting for extended periods of time may be required
- Experience is not recommended for those with heart or lung conditions, pregnant women, or those with impaired mobility
- Temperature of the cave is 59 degrees
- Hard-hat with light and gloves are provided
- Food and drinks are prohibited inside the cavern, however there are picnic tables available to enjoy a packed lunch or snack after the tour
2-8 per tour
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
All necessary caving equipment is provided, including gloves and a helmet with a light. Wear a long sleeve shirt, rugged, loose fitting pants avoid clothes that absorb water and sturdy shoes that have traction soles. It's recommended that participants do not bring expensive cameras or valuable jewelry. Disposable cameras are best.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 30 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
How cold is the cave?
The temperature in the cavern is pretty consistent at 61 degrees, therefore most are comfortable in short sleeves and shorts (if you get cold easily, we recommend bringing a light jacket). Also, do keep in mind that clothing may get dirty and some minerals may not wash out.
Can I bring food and drink with me in the cave?
In a conservation effort, food or drink is not allowed with you in the caverns. It only takes a small amount of these foreign materials to make a big difference in the cavern environment and to the cleanliness of the mine. However, if you need to bring food or drink with you for health purposes, we can make an exception.
How safe is the rappelling?
Professional rappelling equipment is provided as well as a trained expedition guide. The rappel is easy enough to not require prior experience. However, it is a high adventure activity in a natural environment.
Other Sacramento Gift Ideas:(View all 25 Sacramento experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly a PlaneAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $150
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $350
- Zipline AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $90
- Zipline and Moaning Cavern AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $175
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Sacramento Walking Food TourAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $65
- Origins of Sacramento Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(4)From: $62
- Moaning Cavern Caving AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $130
- Mammoth Cave AdventureFrom: $99
- All Sacramento Experiences
"The Moaning Cavern Caving Adventure was exciting but surprising. Though I did research, I was not entirely prepared on what the adventure truly held. I imagined much of it be physical, however the amount of strength that was required was not clearly described. I wish there had been a clear description of exactly what was entailed (crawl spaces mandatory, rough and muddy areas, squatting and sitting for long periods of time). Although a little unprepared it was still an amazing experience. Booking through Cloud 9 Living was simple, and my instructor and the front desk staff were kind and helpful. It was full of adrenaline, history, and challenges that left me feeling accomplished. Definitely a lifetime memory and something I hope to do again one day (especially knowing what I know now)! "
"It's a 'Must DO' Experience!"