Origins of Sacramento Food Tour
Monday through Friday - 10:30 AM
- Your friendly and knowledgeable guides will introduce you to the beginnings of Sacramento
- Learn about the intriguing history of California's State Capitol city from the Sutter's colony Nueva Helvecia to the Fabulous Forties
- Enjoy 5-6 food and drink tastings from hidden gem eateries and local favorites
- A great tour for locals and visitors alike!
Tantalize your taste buds and learn about the origins of Sacramento, the City of Trees, on this delicious 3-hour guided food and cultural tour!The Sutter District is named for Sutter’s Fort, that starting point for just about all of Sacramento! Fascinating history, notable landmarks and global food await as you stroll the tree-lined streets and explore off-the-beaten-path eateries.
This tour explores the very beginnings of Sacramento, from Sutter’s colony Nueva Helvecia to food tastings in current at local hidden gems! You’ll learn about how the many diverse immigrant groups forged this great city and created its agricultural dominance as you eat, drink and stroll.
Though subject to change, typical tastings on this tour include:
- Croque Monsieur Sandwich, baked ham and Gruyere cheese
- Chef selected artisan cured meats and cheeses
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Grilled Pork Spring Rolls
- Bahn mi chicken sandwich with fresh veggie toppings
- Fresh roasted organic coffee with unique blends
- All food and drink tastings are included - enough for a meal
- Participants must be at least 8 years of age
- participants under 17 must be accompanied by an adult of at least 21 years of age
- This tour is most suitable for teenagers and adults
- Participants will be required to walk 2.5 miles on a relatively flat route and are encouraged to bring a bottle of water
- Special dietary needs can be met with prior notice
Approximately 3 hours
You will be accompanied by other tour participants, with a maximum of 14 per tour. For groups larger than 6 please contact Cloud 9 Living directly for pricing.
This experience is only for those on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent and is held rain or shine regardless of weather conditions. Always contact your experience provider with any questions about weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for walking and weather conditions. Sunscreen and a hat are recommended during Summer months.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and have received a booking confirmation, all bookings are final and no cancellations will be allowed. If needed, you may reschedule directly with the experience provider up to 72 hours prior to the scheduled tour.
How physically fit do I need to be to enjoy the tour?
The tour requires a certain level of physical stamina. You'll be on your feet for approximately 2.5 hours. Seating opportunities will be offered in many of the tasting locations.
Does the tour have anything to offer a native Sacramenten?
Definitely! Many attendees live right in Sacramento. Locals often join to learn about the great food finds in the beautiful historical neighborhoods and Capitol City that have been under their noses the entire time! Sacramento is brimming with lively tales and history that you will be surprised by! This tour is a fantastic way to rediscover your own hometown.
What happens if it rains?
The tour is held rain or shine. You should dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions and bring an umbrella if necessary.
Can I shop on the tour?
It is asked that you please wait to shop until after the tour so that the tour can stay on schedule and continue with the informative tour and food tastings in a timely manner. Allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite stores and vendors to take advantage of the exclusive discounts, only available to tour participants!
Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
Yes, there are many parking facilities around downtown Sacramento. The meeting location has several parking garages and metered parking available. When your booking is confirmed, you will be given parking options and their locations in a confirmation email. The city also provides a very convenient Light Rail System that stops at very convenient locations close to the meeting/starting spot.
Are bathrooms available during the tour?
Yes, bathrooms are available throughout the tour. However, it is strongly recommend that you use the facilities before meeting up for the tour, so that the tour can stay on schedule and maximize the tastings!
Does the tour guide accept gratuities?
Gratuities for good service are always greatly appreciated but not mandatory. Recommended gratuity for your guide is $8-$12 per participant.
Are cameras allowed on the tours?
Yes! Participants are encouraged to take photos during the tour and the guides love to be included in fun group photo ops!
Is the tour accessible by wheelchair?
Yes, the tour follows a flat path and wheelchair curb access for most areas. Please keep in mind; however, that the walking path will take you on an approximately 2.5 mile route with limited access to bathrooms in many areas.
Other Sacramento Gift Ideas:(View all 26 Sacramento experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly a PlaneAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $150
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $350
- Sonoma Valley Scenic Biplane RideAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $175
- Zipline AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $90
- Zipline and Moaning Cavern AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $175
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Sacramento Walking Food TourAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $75
- Origins of Sacramento Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(4)From: $72
- Moaning Cavern Caving AdventureAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $130
- All Sacramento Experiences
"Milli was terrific, and we learned quite a bit about the city we live in!"
"The tour guide did not give a history of the murals when we were sitting in the restaurants, the food was great but hot days require not standing in the sun. "
"From start to finish, it was an absolutely wonderful experience! As first timers with Local Roots Tours, we were pleasantly surprised and will definitely join in again. Tasty and locally-sourced food, generous portions, some stories about the history of Sacramento, and a casual stroll through neighborhoods. Our guide was upbeat and prepared, and the staff at each of the five venues was wonderfully hospitable. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to include more history --- perhaps how Sacramento grew to be our capital and stories of some well-known "characters" who helped to grow Sacramento. Maybe the guide could have a few historical photos on hand to highlight what our tour area looked like in the past."