Gaslamp Quarter Historic Food Tour
San Diego, CA
Year-round; Wednesday & Thursdays at 5:30 PM, Saturday & Sundays at 11:00 AM and 5:30 PM
- Tour provider has been featured in 944 Magazine, The San Diego Union-Tribune, Gaslamp Quarter Insider, and Thrillist.com
- Discover Downtown San Diego's questionable past, hear about the scandals of the Stingaree District, brothels, and how it became the city it is today
- Enjoy tastings at 4 restaurants which may include gourmet pizza, Indian cuisine, Mexican specialties, signature cocktails, delicious desserts and more
On this Gaslamp Quarter Historic Food Tour, also known to locals as the "Brothels, Bites, and Booze Tour," you will learn some titillating facts about the area's past, and sample food from some of the greatest restaurants "America's Finest City" has to offer.
Today, the Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego is a vibrant, thriving neighborhood that is home to many events, festivals, bars, restaurants, and shops making it the center of downtown night life. As you walk the streets on this tour, you will learn that it hasn't always been this way.
The beautiful city that you see today began as The Stingaree District, one of the area's largest red light districts that remained home to the city's undesirables until well into the 1980s. In 1982, the Gaslamp Quarter became a major redevelopment project for the City of San Diego and it was transformed into the city you see it as today.
Your guide will take you back in time to reveal the true beginnings of San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter and you will discover how the city was able to drastically change from an area that once was home to over 120 brothels into the lively nightlife hotspot and culinary destination that it is today.
On this intriguing historical walking tour filled with great stories of the past, you will also enjoy food and drink samples from five popular dining establishments.
Tour restaurants may include (and are subject to change):
- Krust Pizzeria - Enjoy gourmet hand-tossed pizza; a favorite amongst the locals
- Tequila 100 - Savor the flavors of Mexico City at this authentic restaurant
- Rock Bottom Brewery - Taste original hand-crafted beers
- Bite M.E - Sample amazing Mediterranean food with an attitude
- Analog Bar - Feel like you've gone back in time to a 70s recording studio and enjoy a taste from their unique menu
- The Melting Pot - Indulge in some delicious dessert fondue
- Bareback Grill - Experience first hand why Bareback has been voted the Best Burger in San Diego
All ages are welcome, but we suggest that guests are 21 and older. Participants under 21 or who do not have a valid ID will not be able to participate in the alcoholic tastings.
Gratuity for your tour guide is not included and is appreciated if you enjoy the tour.
Participants will be required to walk about 1.5 miles on a relatively flat route.
Note: This is a food and drink sampling tour. Drinks are sample-sized, and are not served at each stop.
You will be accompanied by other tour participants, with a maximum of 15 per tour. For groups larger than 4 please contact Cloud 9 Living directly for pricing.
This experience is only available to those on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent and is held rain or shine regardless of weather conditions. Always contact your experience provider with any questions about weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for walking and weather conditions. It is suggested that you wear what you'd normally wear out to dinner. If you are planning to go out in the Gaslamp Quarter after, weekend evenings tend to be dressier.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 72 hours prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
How much walking is involved?
This tour will cover approximately 1.5 miles on a flat surface. You will be on your feet for the majority of the tour, but you will be walking at a leisurely pace.
Are children allowed?
This tour is recommended for ages 21 and up. All ages are allowed, however, some topics may be a little adult for young children. Please use your discretion.
What if it rains?
Tours operate rain or shine.
What about gratuity?
Gratuity for your tour guide is not included and is appreciated if you enjoy the tour. Recommended gratuity is $5-9 per person.
How much food is included?
This is a historic tour with food and drink samples. Drinks are served "sample-sized", and are not served at each stop.
Other San Diego Experiences:(View all 80 San Diego experiences)
- La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak TourFrom: $75Avg Rating of: 4-half(17)
- San Diego Brewery TourFrom: $135Avg Rating of: 4-half(2)
- Stock Car Ride AlongFrom: $149
- Drive a Stock CarFrom: $530
- America's Cup SailingFrom: $120Avg Rating of: 4-half(7)
- Romantic Gondola Cruise (for 2+)From: $130Avg Rating of: 5(7)
- Learn to FlyFrom: $280Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- San Diego Dinner CruiseFrom: $119Avg Rating of: 4-half(9)
- Champagne Brunch CruiseFrom: $99Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- All San Diego Experiences
- Gift Certificates
"Lance was a fabulous guide. He knew a lot about the gas lamp district and offered unique facts about the city. He also directed us in the right directions for other great things to do while in San Diego. In addition, he told us about things that even people who live in San Diego did not know. My wife and I had a great time and would recommend this tour to everyone."
"The tour was great and our guide was very knowledgeable about the history of the Gas Lamp district and San Diego. I declined to answer the age question because on our tour, we brought our kids (in their 20s) and with us. the tour was thoroughly enjoyed by all, including the history discussion."
"This tour is not as decribed. We went to four not five resterants. Very disapointed in the samples we were given. No coctails were offered and the food was on the lower end. The tour guide was nice and knowledgeable but I would not recomend this tour to anyone."