San Diego, CA
Wednesday and Thursday - 5:30 PM
Friday and Saturday - 11:00 AM and 5:30 PM
- Tour provider has been featured in 944 Magazine, The San Diego Union-Tribune, Gaslamp Quarter Insider, and Thrillist.com
- Discover downtown San Diego's questionable past, hear about the scandals of the Stingaree District, brothels, and how it became the city it is today
- Enjoy tastings at up to 4 restaurants which may include gourmet pizza, Mediterranean cuisine, Mexican specialties, signature cocktails, delicious desserts and more
On this Gaslamp Quarter Historic Food Tour, also known to locals as the "Brothels, Bites, and Booze Tour," you will learn some interesting facts about the area's past, and sample food from some of the greatest restaurants America's "Finest City" has to offer.
Today, the Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego is a vibrant, thriving neighborhood that is home to many events, festivals, bars, restaurants, and shops making it the center of downtown night life. As you walk the streets on this tour, you will learn that it hasn't always been this way.
The beautiful city that you see today began as the Stingaree District, one of the area's largest red light districts that remained home to the city's undesirables until well into the 1980s. In 1982, the Gaslamp Quarter became a major redevelopment project for the City of San Diego and it was transformed into the city you see it as today.
Your guide will take you back in time to reveal the true beginnings of San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter and you will discover how the city was able to drastically change from an area that once was home to over 120 brothels into the lively nightlife hotspot and culinary destination that it is today.
On this intriguing historical walking tour filled with great stories of the past, you will also enjoy food and drink samples from up to 4 popular dining establishments.
Tour restaurants may include (and are subject to change):
- Ciro's Pizzeria - The original Ciro's Pizzeria using nothing but the freshest ingredients
- The Field - Irish pub savoring homemade foods and imported draft beer
- Heavenly Cupcake - Truly heavenly after one bite
- Tin Fish - Assortment of freshly grilled and fried plates
- Meze Grill - A trendy Mediterranean restaurant serving home-made falafel, hummus and lamb sliders
- The Melting Pot - Indulge in some delicious dessert fondue
- JSix - Local, quality American food & craft cocktails
- All ages are welcome, however it is recommended for participants to be at least 21 years of age so they can participate in the alcohol tastings
- Participants can expect to walk about 1.5 miles on a relatively flat route
- Food and drinks are sample-sized and are not served at each stop
You will be accompanied by other tour participants, with a maximum of 15 per tour. For groups larger than 6 please contact Cloud 9 Living directly for pricing.
This experience is only available to those on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent and is held rain or shine regardless of weather conditions. Always contact your experience provider with any questions about weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for walking and weather conditions. It is suggested that you wear what you'd normally wear out to dinner. If you are planning to go out in the Gaslamp Quarter after, weekend evenings tend to be dressier.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 72 hours prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
How much walking is involved?
This tour will cover approximately 1.5 miles on a flat surface. You will be on your feet for the majority of the tour, but you will be walking at a leisurely pace.
Are children allowed?
This tour is recommended for ages 21 and up. All ages are allowed, however, some topics may be a little adult for young children. Please use your discretion.
Can food allergies and dietary restrictions be accommodated?
This tour can accommodate vegetarian diets, but unfortunately cannot accommodate vegan diets or gluten-free.
What happens if it rains?
This tour will run rain or shine. Please dress accordingly for expected weather conditions.
Is gratuity included?
Gratuity for your tour guide is not included, but is appreciated if you enjoy the tour. Recommended gratuity is $5-9 per person.
How much food is included?
This is a historic tour with food and drink samples. Drinks are served "sample-sized", and are not served at each stop.
Other San Diego Gift Ideas:(View all 77 San Diego experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(31)From: $66
- San Diego Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(13)From: $125
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(18)From: $88
- Race a FerrariAvg Rating of: 4-half(7)From: $299
- Race a LamborghiniAvg Rating of: 4-half(3)From: $299
- Romantic Gondola Cruise (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 5(20)From: $105
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(7)From: $273
- Sights & Sips Sunset CruiseFrom: $50
- Downtown San Diego Brewery TourAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $125
- All San Diego Experiences
"We met with Stephan for our tour. He was really nice, knowledgeable and funny. We truly enjoyed our time together and with our guide, Stephan. Thank you."
"Stefan was great!! He was very knowledgeable of the Gaslamp Quarters. The only thing I would change is to have more restaurant stops. We went to 3 restaurants and 1 cupcake stop -- I would have liked to try a little bit more."
"Katie was our tour guide. She is absolutely perfect for this position. She's funny, perky, extremely knowledgeable of the history of the Gaslamp district, and provided a wonderful introduction to San Diego to us newcomers to the area."