San Diego, CA
Wednesday through Friday - 5:30 PM
- Tour provider has been featured in 944 Magazine, The San Diego Union-Tribune, Gaslamp Quarter Insider, and Thrillist.com
- This tasty and historic tour will introduce you to Old Town's questionable past where you will learn about the Mexican period, the American Gold Rush period, ghost stories and more
- Enjoy tastings at 4 local restaurants which may include home-made and award-winning Mexican cuisine, tri-tip BBQ, decadent desserts, and specialty cocktails!
On this Old Town San Diego Historic Food Tour, also known to locals as the "Tequila, Tacos and Tombstones Tour," you will learn some tantalizing facts about this historical area, view some original buildings from the 1800s, and sample food and drinks from some of the best establishments Old Town has to offer.
Discover the captivating history of the birthplace of California as you take in the original landmarks and buildings located in Old Town State Historic Park. See how and where the early settlers lived including some original homes still in use today.
Let your imagination run wild as your guide reveals fascinating tales of the past and leads you to Old Town's Plaza De Las Armas. You can almost hear the enthusiasm of a large crowd gathering in the plaza as you learn about bullfights, horse races, pistol shootouts, political events and more that once took place at this historical landmark.
You will also learn interesting bits about the Mexican pueblo period of Old Town, the American and Gold Rush period that followed, and the mix of cultures that ensued.
This walking, historical tour would not be complete without a few ghost stories. You will visit one of the oldest graveyards in San Diego, hear about Yankee Jim, and stop by the Whaley House which is named America's Most Haunted House by the Travel Channel.
Restaurant stops on this tour may include (and are subject to change):
- El Fandango - Taste delicious home-made Mexican cuisine and sample a signature cocktail
- Old Town Mining Company - Taste tri-tip BBQ and locally brewed, award-winning Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale at one of San Diego's best casual steak houses
- The Cosmopolitan Hotel - Enjoy luscious desserts made fresh daily at this beautifully renovated historic hotel, formally known as Casa de Bandini
- Cafe Coyote - Enjoy traditional Mexican food and a fun, festive atmosphere at an establishment that has been known as one of San Diego's landmark restaurants for over 20 years
- All ages are welcome, but participants under 21 or who do not have a valid ID will not be able to participate in the alcoholic tastings
- Participants will be required to walk about 1.5 miles on a relatively flat route
- This is a food and drink sampling tour, drinks are sample-sized, and are not served at each stop
- The cumulative food tastes are usually enough for a full meal
You will be accompanied by other tour participants, with a maximum of 15 per tour. For groups larger than 6 please contact Cloud 9 Living directly for pricing.
This experience is only available to those on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent and is held rain or shine regardless of weather conditions. Always contact your experience provider with any questions about weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for walking and weather conditions.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance. Please note, this tour does require a minimum of 4 participants to run.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 72 hours prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
How much walking is involved?
This tour will cover approximately 1.5 miles on a flat surface. You will be on your feet for the majority of the tour, but you will be walking at a leisurely pace.
Are children allowed?
This tour is recommended for ages 21 and up. All ages are allowed, however, some topics may be a little adult for young children. Please use your discretion.
What happens if it rains?
This tour will run rain or shine. Please dress accordingly for expected weather conditions.
Can food allergies and dietary restrictions be accommodated?
This tour can accommodate vegetarian diets, but unfortunately cannot accommodate vegan diets or gluten-free.
Is gratuity included?
Gratuity for your tour guide is not included, but is appreciated if you enjoy the tour. Recommended gratuity is $5-9 per person.
How much food is included?
This is a historic tour with food and drink samples. Drinks are served “sample-sized”, and are not served at each stop. The cumulative food tastes should be enough for a full meal.
Other San Diego Gift Ideas:(View all 77 San Diego experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(31)From: $66
- San Diego Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(13)From: $123
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(17)From: $87
- Race a FerrariAvg Rating of: 4-half(7)From: $299
- Race a LamborghiniAvg Rating of: 4-half(3)From: $299
- Romantic Gondola Cruise (for 2+)Avg Rating of: 5(20)From: $105
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(7)From: $273
- Sights & Sips Sunset CruiseFrom: $86
- Downtown San Diego Brewery TourAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $125
- All San Diego Experiences
"We did not know what to expect, but Rochelle got the group engaged and the experience was awesome. Rochelle was knowledgeable about Old Town's history. She was extremely organized and in control of the tour. I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in some great food, drinks in a group setting. I had a great time!!"
"Great value. Guide was extremely helpful and had great historical knowledge of the area. Would HIGHLY recommend this tour. Great food and drinks as well."
"Fun tour with great food and drinks!"