Whale Watch & Maritime Museum
Available during the peak of the whale migration late December through April. Daily 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
- 4 hour ocean sail spotting whales & dolphins aboard the 139' historic sailing schooner, the "America", the vessel the America's Cup is named after
- Unlimited access to the San Diego Maritime Museum; including the "Star of India", an ancient Russian Submarine, and the pirate ship "Surprise"
- Great day on the water for families, visitors, or locals looking to take advantage of San Diego's amazing beauty & culture
Spend an amazing day on the water in "America's Greatest City". Climb aboard the legendary "America" schooner for a whale and dolphin watching ocean sail, and tour the historic vessels of the San Diego Maritime Museum.
The "America" was originally sailed from 1851 to 1945, and was re-built in 1995. This is the vessel the legendary "America's Cup" international yacht race is named after. She carried the "Olympic" flame into Savannah, GA for the start of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games.
The "America" is perfectly suited for whale watching because of its low sleek lines, deep keel for stability and the ability to quietly approach the whales under sail without using noisy engine power. The yacht's low sweeping deck also gives guests a great vantage point for photographing the whales up-close.
In addition, because the yacht is so comfortable, there's a NO Seasickness Guarantee.
While aboard the "America", light snacks, sandwiches, soda, water & ice are provided. You are invited to bring a blanket and your own favorite wine or beer and relax on deck as you sail to the whales.
In addition to your sail aboard the "America", you may spend as much time as you like touring the San Diego Maritime Museum, a magnificent showpiece of famous ships and maritime history. Stroll the decks of the "Star of India", crawl through an ancient Russian Submarine or play Pirates on the "Surprise" from the Russell Crowe's movie "Master & Commander".
Come spend a memorable day taking in San Diego's scenery, marine life, and history!
All ages welcome.
Life jackets, light snacks, soda, water & ice are provided. Participants may bring additional food, wine, beer, or beverages.
This experience requires a minimum of seven participants to run on any particular date.
4 hour sail, plus unlimited access to San Diego Maritime Museum either before or after your sail.
Up to 85 passengers per sail.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear tennis shoes or boat shoes and bring a windbreaker or sweatshirt for comfort. Suggestions: Bring Binoculars, hats, sunscreen, cameras, blanket.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 14 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Is sailing in the Bay likely to make me seasick?
The ride is generally very smooth. However, if you're susceptible to motion sickness, take the necessary precautions. To date no passenger has been seasick.
What is your policy on smoking?
There is a no smoking policy.
Are life jackets provided on the boat?
The Coast Guard requires us to keep life jackets on board.
Are snacks and beverages provided?
We provide water a soft drinks free of charge
What happens if there is inclement weather?
If weather cancels your trip, we will issue you a rain check!
What should I wear?
Soft sole shoes (Tennis, Deck shoes, Sandles). Dress warm for San Diego's mild winter weather (Guests do not get wet....ample space for storage of jackets, etc.)
Other San Diego Gift Ideas:(View all 81 San Diego experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak TourFrom: $85Avg Rating of: 4-half(22)
- San Diego Brewery TourFrom: $145Avg Rating of: 4-half(2)
- Stock Car Ride AlongFrom: $149
- Drive a Stock CarFrom: $530
- America's Cup SailingFrom: $120Avg Rating of: 4-half(7)
- Romantic Gondola Cruise (for 2+)From: $130Avg Rating of: 5(9)
- Learn to FlyFrom: $280Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- San Diego Dinner CruiseFrom: $119Avg Rating of: 5(8)
- Champagne Brunch CruiseFrom: $99Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- All San Diego Experiences