Aerobatic Biplane Ride
Sonoma Valley Airport - Sonoma, CA
Saturdays and Sundays Walk-in Appointments from 10:30 AM to 3:30 PM
April through Early-November:
Monday, Thursday, and Fridays - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Pilots have over 85 years of flying experience
- 1941 vintage Boeing PT-17 Stearman Biplane, WWII pilot trainer
- Magnificent views of the stunning northern California countryside
- Inverts, loops, barrel rolls, hammer heads, and Cuban 8's thousands of feet above the Earth!
Feel the wind in your face as you speed down the runway and lift off into the clear blue sky in a 1941 WWII Stearman biplane. The Earth descends below you and you feel the freedom of the open cockpit in this aerobatic flight over the beautiful northern California countryside.
Once comfortably in the air, your pilot will give you the signal and it's time to hold on. Get ready to experience the thrill of inverting to "down is up" pull up into a loop, a barrel roll and a hammer head then if you're still "thumbs up" and smiling, you will go into the famous Cuban 8!
The 20-minute flight takes you over the breath taking fields and vineyards of Sonoma and the Napa Valley where, from just a few hundred feet above the ground, you can appreciate the rolling hills and acres of green pastures from an inverted perspective!
The 40-minute flight offers 3 scenic routes (weather dependent):
- The Wine Country Tour - catch an eagle's view of a world renowned vineyards of the Sonoma and Napa Valleys, heading east across the bucolic Cameros region to Napa, turn north to St. Helena, west to Glen Ellen the back south through the lush Sonoma Valley
- West to the Pacific - fly over rolling hills and open pastures of Sonoma, Novato, and Petaluma, then head out to the Tomales Bay and absorb the majestic magnificence of the Pacific Ocean
- Spires of the City - drift south towards San Francisco and enjoy a panoramic outlook of the Sausalito and Tiburon Harbors, outlying views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin Headlands, the circle Mt. Tamalpais en route to Point Reyes and your safe Sonoma return
Hold on to your hat, because you are about the experience aerobatic flying at its best!
The Boeing PT-17 Stearman is the first aircraft a cadet would fly during flight training prior to and during World War II. Known for its stability and strength, the Stearman was a reliable primary trainer and remains a popular classic today.
Your 1941 Stearman has been modified to accommodate 2 people in the front cockpit. The seat is 32 inches across so the seating is cozy.
- Children must be at least 40 inches tall and children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult
- Please note the front passenger cockpit is a 32 inch bench seat, so fitting 2 passengers is very cozy
20 or 40 minutes of flight time, depending on the option selected.
1-2 per plane, depending on the option selected
There is a picnic area for family and friends to watch the take-off and landing.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions. We recommend dressing in layers and avoiding windbreakers as they tend to fill with air. A cloth flying helmet and ear plugs are provided. If you would like to take a camera onboard, please make sure it has a strap (leash) to secure around your wrist or neck.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
Is an aerobatic flight right for me?
If you like adventure and the thrill of a roller coaster, you will love the aerobatics.
Can I take control of the airplane?
No, your job is to sit back and enjoy the view. All the passenger cockpit controls have been removed to safely accommodate 2 passengers.
Is it safe?
Safety is always a priority.For 30 years they have maintained a perfect flying safety record and each aircraft is maintained to meet the highest FAA maintenance standards.
Can I bring a camera or camcorder?
Yes! But your camera MUST have a strap. A camera with a wide angle or panoramic lens is best, but even a throw away camera will capture this unforgettable experience. A camcorder is ok as long as it is one of the smaller hand held types.
What if my flight is cancelled for weather?
Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions. If your flight is cancelled for weather, you will reschedule directly with the pilot.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 106 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(38)From: $60
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4-half(12)From: $279
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(18)From: $102
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $165
- Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales BayFrom: $75
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $55
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(6)From: $90
- All San Francisco Experiences
"Fantastic staff. Extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Put everyone at ease before the experience. Will definitely return."
"It was amazing, of course, but it would have been nice to be able to take more photos. I know I was "that girl," but when will I ever be near that kind of plane again? I just felt rushed and I would have liked more time before/after."