Alameda, CA or San Mateo, CA
Saturdays - 4:00 PM
San Mateo, CA
Sundays - 4:00 PM
- Voted Best of the Bay by San Francisco Magazine, and Best New School by Windsurfing Magazine
- In this land-based lesson you will learn to fly a Trainer Kite, a small two-line kite which allows you to practice the basic flying skills necessary to Kiteboard
- 80% of Kiteboarding is kite control - this class will give you the fundamentals you need to succeed!
This lesson will focus on the most important aspect of Kiteboarding -learning to fly a kite! Kiteboarding is 80 percent kite control and this 90-minute lesson will provide you with the proper fundamentals of kite safety and control techniques.
At the lesson you will:
- Learn where to fly the kite in the "wind window"
- Learn how to rig, launch, fly, steer and land a ram air foil trainer kite
- Maximize your kite flying time and receive error correction
- Learn 8 different exercises to master kite control before moving to a big kite
Let us introduce you to this exciting and exhilarating sport that is taking the nation by storm!
- Must be at least 18 years old to participate
- All necessary equipment will be provided
- Land-based lesson
- Lesson is the first of 2 pre-requisites needed to begin Kiteboarding in water
- No experience necessary
Approximately 90 minutes
There is a student-to-instructor ratio of 4-to-1 and there is no maximum number of participants (pending instructor availability).
Spectators are allowed to watch the lesson and are encouraged to take pictures.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions prior to the lesson.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that you won't mind getting sandy.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no exchanges or cancellations are allowed. However, you may reschedule your experience prior to your booked date.
How do I get started kiteboarding?
Take this Intro to Kiteboarding course in order to master flying a small two line foil trainer kite on land.After taking this course, you can take a beginner land and water lesson from a certified kite school. Kiteboarding is an extreme sport that is obtrusive and potentially dangerous to you and others around you. Safety considerations are extremely important, and taking a lesson with a certified kite school is a must. Not only will you be safer, but you also won't jeopardize the safety of others.
Can I just go right to the water and skip the land lesson?
Kiteboarding is all about the kite. Many people ask us, "can I just go right to the water and skip the land lesson?", and that is like asking to play polo without knowing how to ride a horse. You have to master the kite on land (first the trainer kite, then an inflatable kite) before you will be proficient enough to control the kite on the water. The average person takes between 20 and 40 hours of total practice and lessons (including trainer kite practice) before they are consistently riding on the board. Kiteboarding is hard to learn, but easy to master.
How does kiteboarding work?
The kite pulls you along while you ride on a wakeboard style board with footstraps. Kiteboarding uses the same engineering principles as flying. The kite acts as a foil, and the wind creates "lift" in the kite that makes you glide along the water. The more wind in the kite, the faster you go. Turning is accomplished by pulling on one side of the control bar. If you want to turn the kite to the left, you pull in on the left side. If you want to turn to the right, you pull in on the right side of the bar.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 100 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseFrom: $55Avg Rating of: 5(30)
- Learn to Fly Big SurFrom: $279Avg Rating of: 4(7)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Gourmet Chocolate TourFrom: $55Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- Champagne Brunch CruiseFrom: $97Avg Rating of: 5(10)
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseFrom: $156Avg Rating of: 4(16)
- America's Cup SailingFrom: $140Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate TourFrom: $85Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,395
- All San Francisco Experiences