Intro to Surfing Package
April - October
Daily - 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
*pending instructor availability
- Your experienced surfing instructors are trained in life saving and CPR
- Lessons will take place at Northern California's best spots for beginner-size waves
- Includes 1 group lesson and 2 private lessons
- No experience necessary, but enthusiasm to learn how to surf is a must!
Your surfing package is comprised of 1 group surfing class and 2 private lessons. During the private lessons, your instructor will build on your foundation from the group class, and specially tailor your lessons to your skills and needs.
Throughout this whole experience, you'll learn the fundamentals of surfing including, wave etiquette, surfing rules, and wave-riding techniques. You'll also learn how to paddle properly and choose the best waves.
These lesson packages are specially designed for students interested in developing their surfing skills quickly. This is the perfect opportunity for someone looking to begin their journey into the epic world of surfing!
- Equipment rental is an additional $40 for 3 hours or $50 a day and is to be paid upon check-in
- Equipment rental package includes board, wetsuit and booties
- Group classes are catered to teens and adults, call Cloud 9 Living at 866-525-6839 for information on kids classes
Comprised of 1 group class lasting 1.5 hours and 2 private lessons lasting 1 hour each.
There may be up to 8 students during the group class but private lessons will be 1 on 1 with an instructor.
Spectators are welcome and should go to the surf store with the student. From there they will receive directions from the instructor as to which part of the beach the lesson will take place.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel and change of clothes. Also, bring a wetsuit if you have one. if not, one can be provided at an additional cost.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Will I be cold if I try surfing in the winter? And how cold does it get?
Most people are surprised by how warm they feel in the winter with a good wetsuit and boots. The water temperature doesn't change much from summer to winter. The average summer water temp is about 56-58 degrees, whereas the average winter water temp is about 53-55 degrees. The coldest it gets is about 48 degrees and that's almost always in the spring when the NW winds are the strongest. The water temperatures are usually warmest in July or August, after a long stretch of high overcast skies and glassy conditions. Summer water temps can reach 60 degrees.
Is there anything I can do to prepare for surfing?
Yes. Lie on the ground as if you were lying on a surfboard and try to jump to your feet, keeping your hands on the ground. You want your front foot to land in between your hands. Push-ups are good to build strength, and yoga is good for flexibility and body awareness.
Can I surf with contact lenses?
Yes, in fact, our instructor uses contacts every time he surfs. It would be difficult to catch waves without them. Generally, contacts are only lost when eyes are opened under water.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 104 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(37)From: $55
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4-half(12)From: $279
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(10)From: $55
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(16)From: $100
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $160
- Playing Lesson with a PGA ProAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $220
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $85
- All San Francisco Experiences