Alameda, CA & San Mateo, CA
Seasonal: March - September
Sat/Sun in Alameda & San Mateo- 10:00am-1:00pm
Harness the power of the wind, through this fun introduction to the amazing sport of windsurfing!
- Voted Best of the Bay by San Francisco Magazine, and Best New School by Windsurfing Magazine
- Introductory course designed for beginners
- Your 2 day introductory course will teach you wind & equipment terminology, safety practices, getting on your board, sailing downwind and turning around, steering, and control in high-wind.
Experience the thrill of windsurfing as you are guided through the basics in this 2 day introduction course.
On day one, you will go over the basic fundamentals of windsurfing while on the beach then off to the water! You'll learn wind & equipment terms, getting on the board, sailing out, and turning around.
Continuing into day two, you will learn steering, and control of your windsurfer in high-wind. Throughout the course, your instructors will be teaching you safety rules to ensure your time on the water is not only fun, but safe.
So what are you waiting for? Join us as we introduce you to the amazing sport of windsurfing!
Participant must be at least 12 years of age to participate. All equipment will be provided by your experience provider. Wetsuits may be rented upon request.
This is a 2 day course with 3 hours of instruction per day.
Up to 5 students per instructor.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel and change of clothes. Wetsuits may be rented upon request.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no exchanges or cancellations are allowed. However, you may reschedule your experience prior to your booked date.
Do I need to be really strong to lift up a windsurf sail?
Contrary to popular belief, windsurfing does not require upper body strength. The modern day equipment is light weight and easy to use. The boards are wide and stable, and the sails are light and nimble. All you need is balance, finesse and a good lesson from a certified school on modern equipment.
How long does it take before I am able to practice by myself on a windsurf board?
The average person can learn the basics of windsurfing in our 2 day beginner lesson. It is an easy sport to learn (with a good lesson and good modern beginner gear). We teach all ages (age 4-100) and windsurfing is all about balance and finesse, not strength. As long as you can swim and are in reasonably good shape, you will enjoy picking it up quickly.
How does windsurfing work?
Windsurfing uses the same engineering principles as flying and sailing. The sail acts as a foil, and the wind creates "lift" in the sail that makes you glide along the water. You learn to sheet in (bring the sail in closer to you by pulling in with your back hand) to decrease power. With alternate hand movements, you control the angle of the sail to the wind. The more wind in the sail, the faster you go. Turning is accomplished by leaning the sail back towards the back of the board (go upwind) or leaning the sail towards the front of the board (go downwind).
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 101 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseFrom: $50Avg Rating of: 5(22)
- Learn to Fly Big SurFrom: $279Avg Rating of: 3-half(5)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Gourmet Chocolate TourFrom: $70Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- Champagne Brunch CruiseFrom: $96Avg Rating of: 5(8)
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseFrom: $154Avg Rating of: 4(9)
- America's Cup SailingFrom: $140Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- Performance Racing Prosail 40 CruiseFrom: $210
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate TourFrom: $76Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- All San Francisco Experiences