Monday through Friday - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Saturdays and Sundays - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Your experienced guides have been providing underground tours for over 30 years and will explain the history and geology of the cavern
- Discover the largest vertical chamber open to the public in California - could hold the Statue of Liberty!
- Start your caving adventure with a 165-foot rope rappel into the cavern
- To add even more thrills, check out our Zipline & Moaning Cavern Adventure!
Moaning Cavern is home to the largest vertical chamber open to the public in California. A massive space so vast it could hold the Statue of Liberty!
Start your cave exploration with a 165-foot rope rappel into the darkness of the cavern below.
Most areas are undeveloped, so there are no lights, stairs, or walkways. Instead, you will daringly explore chasms, tunnels and tight spaces by climbing and belly crawling with lighted helmets to show the way.
Guides explain the history and geology of the cavern, and discuss the explorations that have traced the cavern to its' current depth of 410 feet.
The tour ends on the spot where scientific excavations revealed the bones of prehistoric people who had fallen into the cavern thousands of years ago.
- Participants must be in good physical condition and able to rappel 165-feet into the cavern
- Crawling, squatting and sitting for extended periods of time may be required
- Experience is not recommended for those with heart or lung conditions, pregnant women, or those with impaired mobility
- Participants must be at least 12 years old, 4 ft tall and weigh at least 100 pounds
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult and all participants must sign a waiver
- Temperature of the cave is 59 degrees
- Hard-hat with light and gloves are provided
- Food and drinks are prohibited inside the cavern, however there are picnic tables available to enjoy packed lunch or snack after the tour
There may be up to 10-12 participants per tour.
This experience is only for those on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
All necessary caving equipment is provided, including gloves and a helmet with a light. Wear a long sleeve shirt, rugged, loose fitting pants avoid clothes that absorb water and sturdy shoes that have traction soles. It's recommended that participants do not bring expensive cameras or valuable jewelry. Disposable cameras are best.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
How cold is the cave?
The temperature in the cavern is pretty consistent at 61 degrees, therefore most are comfortable in short sleeves and shorts (if you get cold easily, we recommend bringing a light jacket). Also, do keep in mind that clothing may get dirty and some minerals may not wash out.
Can I bring food and drink with me in the cave?
In a conservation effort, food or drink is not allowed in the caverns. It only takes a small amount of these foreign materials to make a big difference to the cavern environment and to the cleanliness of the mine. However, if you need to bring either food or drink with you for health purposes it can be approved by your guide.
How safe is the rappelling?
Professional rappelling equipment is provided as well as a trained expedition guide. The rappel is easy enough to not require any previous experience. However, it is a high adventure activity in a natural environment.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 104 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(38)From: $60
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4-half(12)From: $279
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(17)From: $100
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $160
- Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales BayFrom: $75
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(10)From: $55
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(5)From: $90
- All San Francisco Experiences
"It was amazing, and we had a great tour guide who was very nice and quirky. :)"
"Our Moaning Cavern Rappel and Cave tour was phenomenal! Not only was it thrilling and, at times, almost surreal, but our guide, Stacey was so patient and knowledgeable about the innards of the cave, she made us feel so welcomed and comfortable. The true beauty and wonder of Moaning Cavern was absolutely made possible and appreciable thanks to the fun and helpful employees and guides there at the Adventure park. We will definitely recommend the trip to EVERYONE and hope to be able to return some day to relive the experience!!!"