Rafting - Middle Fork American
May - September:
Tuesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday - 8:30 AM
- Guides have a passion for rafting which is sure to rub off on youand have been taking adventurers on whitewater rafting trips since 1978
- Attend a brief safety meeting before heading down the river
- Stop for lunch and end 17 miles down the river at the old Greenwood Bridge site
- Great for a beginner, a seasoned rafter and whole families!
The Middle Fork American is a suitable raft trip for the active, fit and adventurous first-timer or a great choice for those seeking a step-up from the South Fork American River.
Your trip is set in a beautiful wilderness canyon that is eligible for Federal Wild & Scenic status. From its headwaters in the Granite Chief Wilderness, it flows through steep, rugged and forested canyons within the Tahoe National Forest and into the Auburn State Recreation Area.
This is one of your guides' favorite California white water rafting runs, as they appreciate escaping into this pristine road-less area. This American River Rafting Class 4 adventure is close to civilization, yet it is possible to feel that you are the only people on the river.
The infamous "Tunnel Chute" is one of the first big rapids encountered and there are numerous Class III-IV rapids in the first 6 miles, such as Last Chance, Submarine Hole and Kanaka. For the next 7 miles, the pace is more mellow, allowing time to appreciate the solitude and beauty of the lush, forested canyon. You may get a glimpse of some wildlife, perhaps a bear, or spot a trout swimming in the incredibly clean and clear Sierra mountain water. We stop for lunch and possible side hikes while plenty of excitement lies ahead.
The Ruck-a-Chucky rapids start just below the entrance of Canyon Creek. A 20-foot drop through a sieve of huge boulders makes the middle of these 3 rapids a mandatory portage, but the Class IV drops of Upper and Lower Ruck-a-Chucky are usually runnable. A 2-mile gorge laced with Class III-IV rapids such as Parallel Parking and Catapult follow.
Its a long but satisfying day. Your rafting finishes after 17 miles, at the old Greenwood Bridge site. The bridge was demolished in the 1954 floods by a 50-foot wall of water that surged down the canyon after the old Hell Hole Reservoir failed.
Cold beverages are available at the take-out and our vans shuttle you up a rough dirt road to your awaiting vehicles where you can review photos taken earlier. You should be on the road by 5:00pm reminiscing about your day all the way home!
- All necessary rafting equipment, lunch and on-river transportation from various meeting locations and back to your vehicle will be provided
- Class III-IV Rapids - may not be the best option for younger participants
Expect a full day of rafting. Approximately 8 - 9 hours.
There is a limit of 6 people per raft plus the guide.
This experience is only for those booked on the rafting adventure.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Expect to get wet! Swimsuits and closed toe shoes are recommended. Wet suits and paddle jackets may be rented at time of check-in.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no exchanges or refunds are allowed. Cancellations made outside of 30 days of your trip will result in a $15 per person processing fee for each day. No cancellations or rescheduling can be done within 30 days prior to your experience.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 104 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(38)From: $60
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4-half(12)From: $279
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(17)From: $100
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $160
- Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales BayFrom: $75
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(10)From: $55
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(5)From: $90
- All San Francisco Experiences