Monday through Friday - 11:00 AM
Saturdays and Sundays - 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM
- Experienced tour providers have been leading tours since 1977
- You'll descend into a cavern chamber big enough to hold the Statue of Liberty
- Hit speeds up to 40 mph on the quarter-mile zip line
- Perfect for adventure seekers looking to get out and explore more of beautiful California with two amazing experiences!
The Zipline and Moaning Cavern Tour blends two exciting experiences into one thrilling day of adventure!
You'll begin your day with the caving excursion where you'll descend 165 feet by rappel into the enormous main chamber of Moaning Cavern.
The well known natural wonder is the largest single chamber public cavern in California and was opened for guided exploration tours nearly 30 years ago.
After the initial rappel, you'll spend 1 to 2 hours exploring the deeper chambers and passages of the cave. Your spelunking skills will be challenged as you daringly navigate the chambers by climbing and crawling with only the lighting from your helmet and the help of your experienced guide.
Once you've successfully maneuvered through the cave, you'll make your way to the second portion of the experience - the zipline adventure.
You'll cross the 60-foot long sky bridge and get fitted in a full-body climbing harness that connects to the quarter-mile cable.
After a brave step off the platform, you'll soar high above the trees and hiking trails and reach speeds up to 40 mph.
Enjoy a natural wonder of California and then zip through the air in style on the Zipline and Moaning Cavern Adventure!
- Participants must be at least 12 yrs old, 4 ft tall and weigh between 100 - 260 lbs
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult and all participants must sign a waiver
- Participants must be in good physical condition and able to rappel down a 165-foot drop into the main chamber of the cavern
- Crawling, squatting and sitting for extended periods of time may be required
- Experience is not recommended for those with heart or lung conditions, pregnant women, or those with impaired mobility
- To experience both activities in a day, you must start with the Moaning Cavern Tour and then enjoy the Zipline Adventiure
- Temperature of the cave is 59 degrees
- Hard-hat with light and gloves are provided
- Food and drinks are prohibited inside the cavern, however there are picnic tables available to enjoy a packed lunch or snack after the tour
There may be up to 8 participants per cavern tour and there is no maximum number of participants for the zip line, however only 2 people can zip at the same time.
This experience is only for those booked on the tour.
The zipline experience is weather dependent. The Moaning Cavern portion of this experience is not weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
All necessary caving equipment is provided, including gloves and a helmet with a light. Wear a long sleeve shirt, rugged, loose fitting pants avoid clothes that absorb water and sturdy shoes that have traction soles. It's recommended that participants do not bring expensive cameras or valuable jewelry. Disposable cameras are best.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7-14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, you may reschedule your experience up to 14 days prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
Are there any age restrictions for either experience?
There are no age restrictions for the zipline portion of this experience. The minimum age to go into Moaning Cavern is 12 years old and a parent must be present.
Are there any weight restrictions for either of the experiences?
To soar down the zipline, participants must be a minimum of 70 pounds and a maximum of 280 pounds with a waist size of less than 55 inches. Participants must be at least 100 pounds to rappel into the cave.
Can I bring food or drinks into the cave with me?
In a conservation effort, food and drinks are not allowed in Moaning Cavern.
What is the temperature in the cave?
The underground temperature is 61 degrees fahrenheight all year round.
Is equipment provided?
Yes, all necessary safety equipment will be provided for both experiences.
Do I need any experience?
No experience is necessary. Your skilled guides will instruct you on how to safely zipline, rappel and navigate your way through the cave.
When is the best time of year to go?
This experience is available year round. It is typically less crowded during the Fall and Winter months.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 106 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(38)From: $60
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4-half(12)From: $279
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(18)From: $102
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $165
- Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales BayFrom: $75
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(10)From: $55
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(6)From: $90
- All San Francisco Experiences
"Moaning Caverns was an amazing adventure! It was rather intense but incredibly fun. Our guide (Shelby) did a wonderful job teaching us how to use the rappelling equipment and guiding us through the process. We rappelled down into the cavern, which was both scary and exhilarating, especially once you were down the rock face and just freely hanging above. The main cavern was breathtaking with all the stalactites and other formations. After reaching the bottom, we set out to explore the rest of the cave, squeezing through tight spaces and moving from room to room. Shelby explained the science behind the formations, the history of the cave, showed us the bones they'd collected, and had us turn off our head lamps to experience the complete darkness for a few moments. By the way, if you are even slightly afraid of heights or claustrophobic, this might not be the trip for you. I do pretty well with these things, and my husband and I bailed slightly early and took an exit path when things started to get really tight, before a passage called "The Meat Grinder." It was nice to have that option based on how you were feeling. Definitely bring new clothes as they recommend, as we were incredibly wet and filthy when we finished! We cleaned up and then did the zipline, which was just great fun! All the staff were very friendly, knowledgeable, and good-natured. This was an amazing birthday gift!"