Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales Bay
Tomales Bay - Marshall, CA
Click here for select dates
- Learn the basics of kayaking from the Bay Area's outdoor education leader with over 21 years of experience
- Discover the amazing secret behind the natural phenomenon of bioluminescence
- Spot swimming fish and seals as they streak through the water
- Watch as each dip of your paddle lights up the bay!
Very few people get the opportunity to witness bioluminescence in their lifetime. Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to witness it up close during this Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales Bay!
One of the largest protected bay and coastal areas in California, Tomales Bay is a kayaker's paradise and only a short distance from San Francisco and the Bay Area. It is also one of the few places in the world where you can witness the natural phenomenon of bioluminescence! This light show, put on by living organisms in the water, is rare and best observed on calm, moonless evenings.
Launching from Nick's Cove, you will paddle in stable, double sea kayaks past Hog Island, to Tomales Bay. As you go, each dip of your paddle will light up the surrounding waters in a magical show. You'll even have the opportunity to spot fish and seals through the water, identified by the streak of light they make as they swim. You'll be in awe of your surroundings.
A great adventure for paddler's of all levels, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness one of nature's greatest shows!
- No experience necessary
- Tour is appropriate for paddlers of all levels in good physical condition
- All equipment is included (including kayak, paddles and life jacket)
The duration of this tour is approximately 3 hours
The group size will vary but guide to boat ratios typically do not exceed more than 5 kayaks per guide.
This experience is only for those on the tour.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
It is recommended to wear synthetic, wool, or silk clothing and swimsuit, shorts, jacket & warm cap rather than cotton. It is also recommended to bring water shoes or sport sandals, a change of clothes, towel, bottle of water and a snack.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Livings's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 14 days prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
What is bioluminescence?
Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism.In the case of Tomales Bay, it is a rarely seen light show put on by plankton beneath the water's surface. As the water is disturbed, the plankton light up and put on a spectacular show!
What equipment is provided?
This tour includes kayaks, paddles, spray skirts and life jackets for all participants. If necessary, the provider will also have paddling jackets and wet suits on hand.
What should I bring?
You may want to pack a light snack and some water as the tour is 3 hours long. It can get chilly on the water so a jacket or cap is also recommended.
Other San Jose Gift Ideas:(View all 40 San Jose experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 5(6)From: $279
- Learn to Fly Bay TourAvg Rating of: 3-half(3)From: $279
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $239
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $165
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $102
- Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales BayFrom: $75
- Zipline AdventureAvg Rating of: 4(3)From: $90
- Zipline and Moaning Cavern AdventureFrom: $175
- All San Jose Experiences