Mondays - Fridays, 10am to 5pm
Saturdays and Sundays, 9am to 5pm
- Providing underground tours for over 30 years
- Largest vertical chamber open to the public in California - could hold the Statue of Liberty!
- Start your adventure with a 165-foot rope rappel into the cavern
- Expert guides will explain the history and geology of the cavern
- To add even more thrills, check out our Zipline & Moaning Cavern Adventure complete with a 165-foot rappel!
Moaning Cavern is home to the largest vertical chamber open to the public in California. A massive space so vast it could hold the Statue of Liberty!
Start your cave exploration with a 165-foot rope rappel into the darkness of the cavern below.
Most areas are undeveloped, so there are no lights, stairs, or walkways. Instead, you will daringly explore chasms, tunnels and tight spaces by climbing and belly crawling with lighted helmets to show the way.
Guides explain the history and geology of the cavern, and discuss the explorations that have traced the cavern to its current depth of 410 feet.
The tour ends on the spot where scientific excavations revealed the bones of prehistoric people who had fallen into the cavern thousands of years ago.
Participants must be in good physical condition, at least 12 years of age, 4' tall and weigh at least 100 pounds; minors must be accompanied by an adult. You will need to sign a waiver upon arrival. Temperature of the cave is 61 degrees. Hardhat with light, gloves and coveralls are provided.
10-12 per tour
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
We provide all necessary caving equipment, including gloves, helmet with light, and coveralls. Wear a long sleeve shirt, rugged, loose fitting pants avoid clothes that absorb water and sturdy shoes that have traction soles. We recommend you bring knee pads. We also recommend that participants do not bring expensive cameras or valuable jewelry. Disposable cameras are best.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
How cold is the cave?
The temperature in the cavern is pretty consistent at 61 degrees, therefore most are comfortable in short sleeves and shorts (if you get cold easily, we recommend bringing a light jacket). Also, do keep in mind that clothing may get dirty and some minerals may not wash out.
Can I bring food or drink with me in the cave?
In a conservation effort, food and drink is not allowed in the caverns or gold mines. It only takes a small amount of these foreign materials to make a big difference in the cavern environment and to the cleanliness of the mines. However, if you need to bring food or drink with you for health purposes, it can be approved by your guide.
How safe is the rappelling?
Professional rappelling equipment is provided as well as a trained expedition guide. The rappel is easy enough to not require any previous experience. However, it is a high adventure activity in a natural environment.
Other San Jose Gift Ideas:(View all 36 San Jose experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly Big SurFrom: $279Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Learn to Fly Bay TourFrom: $279Avg Rating of: 3-half(3)
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $215Avg Rating of: 4-half(3)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseFrom: $156Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- Champagne Brunch CruiseFrom: $97Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Zipline AdventureFrom: $90Avg Rating of: 4(3)
- Zipline and Moaning Cavern AdventureFrom: $175
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,395Avg Rating of: 4-half(1)
- All San Jose Experiences