Discover Whitewater Kayaking
- Guiding outdoor enthusiasts for over 35 years
- Led by a certified American Canoe Association instructor
- Practice and learn river rescue techniques and other important skills
- Paddle Class I-III whitewater, running down ledges and waves of the Shenandoah or Potomac Rivers
This Whitewater kayaking lesson is designed for individuals who have recreational kayaking experience or have an adventurous spirit to try whitewater kayaking!
The fun does not end on this Class I-III whitewater run. You'll be paddling down the ledges and waves of a breath-taking section of the Shenandoah or Potomac River near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
You'll have a 3-4 hour lesson, with both a dry land and on-water session.
The Dry Land session will cover:
- Whitewater boats, hulls & gear
- Entering / exiting the kayak
- River safety and signals
- Four basic paddling strokes
- Reading water
- Entering / exiting currents, ferrying
- Wet exits & self rescue
Must be 12 years of age or a minimum of 50 lbs.
Approximately 4 hours
Classes can hold up to 30 people; however student : instructor ratio is typically 1:6
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear a bathing suit or shorts; it is not recommended to wear jeans or cotton shirts. A wetsuit can be rented at time of check-in.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no exchanges or cancellations are allowed. Rescheduling is allowed up to 72 hours prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule in accordance with these terms will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Who is intended to do this class?
This class is designed for individuals who have recreational kayaking experience or have and adventurous spirit to try whitewater kayaking.
What will I learn in the lesson?
You will learn about whitewater boats, hulls & gear; entering and exiting your kayak, river safety and signals, four basic paddling strokes, reading water, entering and exiting currents, and wet exits and self rescue.
Other Washington DC Experiences:(View all 70 Washington DC experiences)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCFrom: $229Avg Rating of: 4-half(11)
- Capitol Hill Food TourFrom: $75Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Stock Car Ride Along - DoverFrom: $109Avg Rating of: 5(11)
- Drive a Stock Car - DoverFrom: $429Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- Ride & Drive a Stock Car - DoverFrom: $509Avg Rating of: 5(9)
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $255
- Whitewater RaftingFrom: $95Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Shenandoah Valley Biplane for 2From: $430Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- All Washington DC Experiences
- Gift Certificates