Discover Whitewater Kayaking
Harpers Ferry, WV
April through May:
2nd Sunday of each month - 1:00 PM
June through Mid-September:
Monday through Friday - 10:00 AM & 2:45 PM
Saturday through Sunday - 9:00 AM & 2:30 PM
Mid-September through Mid-October:
Monday through Friday - 10:00 AM & 1:00 PM
Saturday through Sunday - 9:00 AM & 2:00 PM
- Guiding outdoor enthusiasts for over 35 years
- Led by a certified American Canoe Association instructor
- Practice and learn paddling, safety and river rescue techniques
- Paddle Class I-III whitewater as you run down ledges and waves of the Shenandoah or Potomac Rivers!
Learn how to maneuver in whitewater with this 4-hour Discover Whitewater Kayaking course!
Paddle down the ledges of waves of a Class I-III section of the Shenandoah or Potomac River near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia! A certified American Canoe Association instructor will guide you and teach you how to safely paddle your way through both entering and exiting whitewater.
The Dry Land Session will cover:
- Whitewater boats, hulls & gear
- Entering / exiting the kayak
- River safety and signals
- 4 basic paddling strokes
- Reading water
- Entering / exiting currents, ferrying
- Wet exits & self rescue
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age or a minimum of 50 pounds
Approximately 4 hours
Classes can hold up to 30 people, however the student-to-instructor ratio is typically 1:6
This experience is only for booked participants.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
It is recommended to wear synthetic under-layers, a bathing suit and closed-toe shoes. Cotton clothes are not recommended as they hold and retain water. A wetsuit can be rented at the time of check-in. Don't forget sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat!
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 72 hours prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
Who is intended to do this class?
This class is designed for individuals who have recreational kayaking experience or have an adventurous spirit to try whitewater kayaking.
Are there any age or physical requirements?
All participants must be at least 12 years of age or 90 pounds.
What will I learn in the lesson?
You will learn about whitewater boats, hulls & gear, entering and exiting your kayak as well as currents, river safety and signals, 4 basic paddling strokes, reading water, wet exits and self rescue.
What should I bring?
It is recommended that you bring a dry change of clothes, a towel, sunscreen, a sunglasses strap and plenty of water.
Other Washington DC Gift Ideas:(View all 74 Washington DC experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCAvg Rating of: 5(22)From: $224
- Capitol Hill Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(20)From: $61
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $220
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Chesapeake Bay Sailing CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(18)From: $70
- Private Wine Education TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(6)From: $85
- Fly a WWII BiplaneAvg Rating of: 5(7)From: $250
- Washington DC Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(11)From: $131
- Gourmet Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(3)From: $167
- All Washington DC Experiences