- Knowledgeable tour providers have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Sunand The Boston Globe
- Enjoy 7-8 tastings which may include homemade kimchi and bulgogi, locally grown fruits, artisan breads, DC's original half-smoke and more
- Discover this legendary market that has been the center of life within Capitol Hill for over 200 years!
The Eastern Market Food Tour will give you an insider's look at the legendary market while tasting delicious local specialties!
As part of a city-wide public market system, Eastern Market has acted as an anchor to the Capitol Hill neighborhood helping to both retain and attract neighborhood residents. Eastern Market is also a symbol of urbanization as Washington DC worked to remove the southern town image it had since the founding of the Federal city.
Meet long standing vendors to taste their specialties which include a variety of local products produced and grown within the Washington DC area. Tastings on this tour may include (and are subject to change):
- Homemade kimchi and bulgogi
- Locally grown fruits
- Artisan breads
- Local, regional and international cheeses
- Homemade turkey jerky
- DC's original half-smoke
- Hand-rolled and stuffed grape leaves
- Eastern European desserts
Explore Eastern Market to understand it's significance within Capitol Hill as well as Washington DC!
- Participants can expect to stand throughout this 1.5-hour tour
- Tastings are included in the price
- Up to 7-8 stops for tastings that will happily fill most stomachs
- Notify Cloud 9 Living of any food allergies or dietary restrictions at the time of booking
- Eastern Market is much smaller than traditional public markets such as Redding Terminal or Pike Place
up to 6 people per tour
This experience is only for those on the tour.
This tour is not weather dependent and will run rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, you will be able to go inside most of the establishments on the tour.
What to Wear:
Please dress appropriately for expected weather conditions. Comfortable shoes are recommended for this 1.5-hour walking tour.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, all bookings for this experience are final.
What types of foods are served on the tour?
You will try specialties from the majority of the vendors from eastern market, and vary from vendor to vendor. Some samples will include DC half smokes, homemade kimchi, local fruit, empenadas, baklava, Eastern European desserts, artisan breads, turkey jerky, French specialties, local and international cheeses.
How much food is served on the tour?
You will sample specialties from 7-8 vendors in the Market. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards will not be necessary.
What if I have dietary restrictions?
Most food allergies and dietary restrictions can be accommodated on this tour. Please notify Cloud 9 Living of any special requests at the time of booking.
What about taking children on the tour?
Children are welcome on the tour. Please note that the tour is 3.5 hours long with standing and walking.
If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
Children under the age of 7 that will not be participating in food tastings do not require a ticket. However, please notify Cloud 9 Living at the time of booking if you will be bringing an infant or young child along with you.
Is this tour wheelchair accessible?
This tour covers some uneven terrain. Please notify Cloud 9 Living at the time of booking if any guests in your party will need wheelchair assistance.
How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
You will be on your feet for the entire tour since there is nowhere to sit in the market. The tour is not fast paced and you'll walk less than a quarter mile total. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
Is gratuity included in the price of this tour?
Gratuity is not included, but is appreciated if you enjoy the tour.
What happens if it rains or snows?
This tour is not weather dependent and will run rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, you will be able to go inside most of the establishments on the tour. Please dress appropriately for expected weather conditions.
Other Washington DC Gift Ideas:(View all 76 Washington DC experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCFrom: $224Avg Rating of: 5(19)
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterFrom: $183Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Capitol Hill Food TourFrom: $55Avg Rating of: 4-half(13)
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $220
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,395Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Chesapeake Bay Sailing CruiseFrom: $70Avg Rating of: 5(13)
- Private Wine Education TourFrom: $85Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- Washington DC Dinner CruiseFrom: $127Avg Rating of: 3-half(10)
- All Washington DC Experiences
"We enjoyed the tour very much. Eric was very personable and knowledgeable and willing to help beyond the tour topics, with information about DC. I would suggest a few things. Introducing the group to each other would be nice because it is such a small group and you send time eating together. We were worried about finding the guide. It wasn't very clear how to find him or her and the meeting place was on a busy street corner. I'm not real worried about germs but if you were, not having individual servings of food or even toothpicks for some of it would definitely be a turn-off."