Little Ethiopia Food Tour
March - December:
Saturdays - 10:30 AM
Explore the world's second largest Ethiopian community as you travel from historic U Street to 9th Street on the Little Ethiopia Food Tour!
- Knowledgeable tour providers have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Sun and The Boston Globe
- Enjoy up to 4 tastings which may include a traditional Ethiopian breakfast, the Ethiopian national dish, Italian influenced desserts and more
- Experience the intricate flavors, textures and colors in Ethiopian cuisine while recounting the history of the Ethiopian people!
Journey to the heart of the world's second largest Ethiopian community on the Little Ethiopia Food Tour!
Your guide will lead you through historic U Street and east through Shaw neighborhood to the 200,000-person community with over 45 Ethiopian restaurants in the DC area.
Taste the sophisticated flavors, textures and colors in Ethiopian cuisine while learning about the history of the Ethiopian people. The tour will highlight specialties at a variety of restaurants - some carryout, some sit-down, but all important to the Ethiopian community at large!
Tastings on this tour may include (and are subject to change):
- Traditional Ethiopian breakfast
- Deep fried lentil appetizers
- Vegetarian and meat dishes
- Handmade sauces and cottage cheese
- The Ethiopian national dish
- Several homemade Ethiopian breads
- Italian influenced desserts
- Coffee ceremony
- Participants can expect to walk approximately 3 miles at a moderate pace throughout the tour
- All tastings are included in the price
- Visit up to 4 locations for tastings that will happily fill most stomachs
up to 12 people per tour
This experience is only for those on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent. In the event of inclement weather, you will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. You will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Please dress appropriately for expected weather conditions. You will be walking throughout the tour, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 21 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, all bookings for this experience are final.
What types of foods are served on the tour?
The types of food served on this tour include various styles of Ethiopian cuisine from different regions. The tastings may include (and are subject to change) a traditional Ethiopian breakfast, deep fried appetizers, vegetarian and meat dishes, handmade sauces and cottage cheese, the Ethiopian national dish, several homemade Ethiopian breads, Italian influenced desserts and a coffee ceremony. Food tasting locations may change without notice.
How much food is served on the tour?
There are 3-4 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals and participate in a coffee ceremony. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterward will not be necessary.
What if I have dietary restrictions?
Most food allergies and dietary restrictions can be accommodated on this tour. Please notify Cloud 9 Living at the time of booking of any special needs or requests.
Are children allowed on the tour?
Children are allowed on this tour. Please note, the tour lasts approximately 3.5 hours with a lot of both standing and walking.
If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
Children under the age of 7 that will not be participating in food tastings do not require a ticket. However, please notify Cloud 9 Living at the time of booking if you will be bringing an infant or young child along with you.
Is this tour wheelchair accessible?
This tour will cover some uneven terrain and may be difficult on a wheelchair. Please notify Cloud 9 Living at the time of booking if anyone if your party will need wheelchair access throughout the tour.
Do we just walk around and sample food?
This food tour provides history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. You will enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant.
Are restrooms available during the tour?
Yes, restrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. The tour will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes including time to use the restrooms.
How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
You will be on your feet for approximately half of the tour walking at a comfortable pace. Seating will be available at most restaurants for approximately 20-25 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
What happens if it rains or snows?
This experience is not weather dependent and will run rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, you will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. Please dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
Other Washington DC Gift Ideas:(View all 74 Washington DC experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCAvg Rating of: 5(21)From: $224
- Capitol Hill Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(17)From: $61
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $220
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Fighter Pilot for a DayAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $1,395
- Chesapeake Bay Sailing CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(17)From: $70
- Private Wine Education TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(5)From: $85
- Fly a WWII BiplaneAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $250
- Washington DC Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(11)From: $131
- All Washington DC Experiences
"Very enjoyable. Guide was friendly and knowledgeable. Food was very good."
"Our guide Christoper Pitt was knowledgeable about the food and was very informative about the culture. He was also very good at involving everyone in the conversations."