Dare County Regional Airport - Manteo, NC
Daily - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Fly with a FAA Certified Pilot
- Take in the sights from the open cockpit of a WACO YMF biplane, the modern day reincarnation of the classic biplane
- Choose between 20 and 30-minute tour options
- Keep a watchful eye on the water for potential views of dolphins, sea turtles, and even shipwrecks
- Explore the Outer Banks in a whole new way!
Whether you've visited a million times or it's your first time, this scenic biplane ride for up to 2 passengers will have you seeing North Carolina's famously beautiful Outer Banks in a whole new way!
Feel the rush of wind in your hair as you speed down the airstrip and lift off into the clear blue sky in the open cockpit of a WACO YMF biplane. The Waco YMF is a reincarnation of the 50-year old, classic biplane design. You'll get to experience this vintage style of flight, but with the safety of a modern aircraft.
For this scenic Outer Banks flight, you and a friend have the choice of approximately 20 or 30 minutes of flight.
20-Minute Tour: This approximately 20-minute flight flies EITHER north or south along the coastline, depending on your preference. Flying north, you will enjoy views of the Wright Brother's Monument, Jockey's Ridge, and a few shipwrecks. If you choose to head south, you will fly over the famed Wanchese fishing village to Oregon Inlet and the Bodie Island Lighthouse. Whichever direction you choose, keep an eye out for sightings of dolphins, sea turtles, and fish!
30-Minute Tour:This extended tour lasts about 30 minutes. You will fly BOTH the northern and southern routes mentioned above. Notable sites will include the Wright Brother's Monument, Jockey's Ridge, Oregon Inlet, the Bodie Island Lighthouse and more. Of course, you'll have plenty of extra time to spot some sea creatures from above!
Take a trip back in time and soak in the sprawling beauty of the Outer Banks!
- Participants must be at least 3 years of age, and children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult
- Combined weight of passengers cannot exceed 420 pounds
- Participants weighing more than 250 pounds may find it difficult to climb up into the front cockpit
- Cloth helmets with built-in headsets are included
Depending on option selected, please plan to spend approximately 50-60 minutes at the airport to allow for check-in and check-out, etc.
Up to 2 passengers per plane, pending weight restrictions
This flight is only for the passengers booked but spectators are permitted to watch take-off and landing from inside the terminal building
This experience is weather dependent. In the event of inclement weather, your pilot will work with you to reschedule your experience. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
This is an open cockpit experience so please dress appropriately for the weather. Sunglasses are recommended as well as a light jacket if the temperature is below 70 degrees. Don't forget to bring your camera!
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 72 hours prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
How many passengers can the biplane accommodate?
The biplane can typically seat two average-sized adults comfortably. The combined passenger weight cannot exceed 420 pounds. Individuals weighing more than 250 pounds may find it difficult to climb in and out of the front cockpit. Mobility is required to board the plane.
Can I bring a child?
Yes! Children as young a 3 years old have enjoyed this scenic flight. Please note that any children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
What should I wear?
This is an open-cockpit experience so please dress appropriately for the weather. If the temperatures are below 70 degrees, a light jacket is recommended. Sunglasses are also advised and don't forget to bring a camera along!
Other Washington DC Gift Ideas:(View all 83 Washington DC experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCAvg Rating of: 5(24)From: $349
- Race a FerrariFrom: $388
- Race a LamborghiniFrom: $338
- Chesapeake Bay Sailing CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(19)From: $70
- Capitol Hill Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $61
- Ultimate Zip Line Adventure CourseAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $63
- Fly a WWII BiplaneAvg Rating of: 5(8)From: $250
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $220
- Private Wine Education TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(7)From: $85
- All Washington DC Experiences