Tour departs from Portland, OR
Mid-May - October: Tuesdays and Sundays, 8:00 AM - 7:30 PM
- Go spelunking at the largest continuous lava tube in the continental U.S., visit Johnston Ridge Observatory, and take in stunning views of the steaming volcano
- Experience how volcanoes are monitored and discover the wonders of Mt. St. Helens
- Your guides have been featured in National Geographic, USA Today and the Seattle Times
Mt. St. Helens is unquestionably one of the Pacific Northwest's most iconic, well-known and powerful attractions.
During this full day tour you'll have the opportunity to enjoy spelunking at the Ape Cave, the largest continuous lava tube in the continental U.S. Next, explore the visitor centers in and around the "Blast Zone".
Just five miles from the crater at the Johnston Ridge Observatory, a world-class visitor center, you'll have the chance to take in stunning views into the steaming volcano, the growing lava dome, and the world's youngest glacier.
Learn about the drama and geological events surrounding the 1980 eruption through a variety of stories, facts and walks.
Experience how volcanoes are monitored and discover how Mt. St. Helens has taught us new answers to old mysteries, all the while keeping an eye out for wildlife.
NOTE: When the Johnston Observatory is closed during winter, you will drive as far as the conditions allow and take the opportunity for a snowshoe hike.
Tour includes downtown Portland hotel pick-up or drop off (if applicable), highly qualified and knowledgeable guide, travel in adventure-outfitted Mercedes van or luxury SUV, a Northwest style "On Safari" lunch, morning snack, selected Oregon wine, refreshments, all entry fees and comprehensive naturalist commentary.
Your guides practice ecologically responsible tourism. All tours are powered by clean burning alternative bio-diesel fuel produced from domestic, renewable resources.
Gratuity for your guide is not included but is appreciated.
Approximately 12 hours; 7:30 AM - 7:30 PM
You will be accompanied by other tour participants, with a maximum of 10 per tour. For groups larger than 4 please contact Cloud 9 Living directly for pricing.
This experience is only for those on the tour.
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for walking and weather conditions.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance of intended date.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no cancellations are allowed, however you may reschedule up to 7 days before your scheduled date with a $50 per person change fee. No changes are allowed within 7 days.
Other Portland Experiences:(View all 22 Portland experiences)
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterFrom: $255Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Beers of PortlandFrom: $115Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Half Day Rafting TripFrom: $89Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- Willamette Valley Wine Trail TourFrom: $180
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Playing Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $245
- Glass Blowing Workshop (for 3+)From: $330Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- Mt Hood Wineries & WaterfallsFrom: $245
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,395Avg Rating of: 5(34)
- All Portland Experiences
- Gift Certificates