Moaning Cavern Caving Adventure
Print or Email Instantly! You can also choose your send date.
When do I choose a date?
If giving as a gift, your recipient can choose a date at their convenience; otherwise, you can choose one after checkout.
30 day returns. Free exchanges. No expiration dates.
Monday through Friday - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Saturdays and Sundays - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Don your hard hat and head lamp as you explore an exciting and new world hundreds of feet below the Earth's surface!Full Description>
- Your experienced guides have been providing underground tours for over 30 years and will explain the history and geology of the cavern
- Discover the largest vertical chamber open to the public in California - could hold the Statue of Liberty!
- Start your caving adventure with a 165-foot descent down a spiral staircase into the cavern
- To add even more thrills, check out our Zipline & Moaning Cavern Adventure!
Moaning Cavern is home to the largest vertical chamber open to the public in California. A massive space so vast it could hold the Statue of Liberty!
Start your cave exploration with a 165-foot descent down a spiral staircase into the darkness of the cavern below.
Most areas are undeveloped, so there are no lights or walkways. Instead, you will daringly explore chasms, tunnels, and tight spaces by climbing and belly crawling with lighted helmets to show the way.
Guides explain the history and geology of the cavern, and discuss the explorations that have traced the cavern to its' current depth of 410 feet.
The tour ends on the spot where scientific excavations revealed the bones of prehistoric people who had fallen into the cavern thousands of years ago.
- Participants must be in good physical condition
- Crawling, squatting and sitting for extended periods of time may be required
- Experience is not recommended for those with heart or lung conditions, pregnant women, or those with impaired mobility
- Participants must be at least 12 years old, 4 ft tall and weigh at least 100 pounds
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult and all participants must sign a waiver
- Temperature of the cave is 61 degrees
- Hard-hat with light and gloves are provided
- Food and drinks are prohibited inside the cavern, however there are picnic tables available to enjoy packed lunch or snack after the tour
Maximum ParticipantsThere may be up to 10-12 participants per tour.
SpectatorsThis experience is only for those on the tour.
Weather DependentThis experience is not weather dependent.
What To WearAll necessary caving equipment is provided, including gloves and a helmet with a light. Wear a long sleeve shirt, rugged, loose fitting pants avoid clothes that absorb water and sturdy shoes that have traction soles. It's recommended that participants do not bring expensive cameras or valuable jewelry. Disposable cameras are best.
Booking InformationFor this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Cancellation PolicyOnce you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Is there an age, height, or weight limit?
No experience necessary. Participants must be at least 12 years old, and minors must have a liability form filled out by their parents on site, or witnessed by the adult who brings them. All participants must be in good physical health, weigh between 70 - 280 pounds, and have a waist size no bigger than 55 inches.
What is the best time of year to do this experience?
This particular experience is available every day of the year. However, fall and winter are both excellent times to visit in order to avoid the crowds.
How cold is the cave?
The temperature in the cavern is pretty consistent at 61 degrees, therefore most are comfortable in short sleeves and shorts (if you get cold easily, we recommend bringing a light jacket). Also, do keep in mind that clothing may get dirty and some minerals may not wash out.
Can I bring food and drink with me in the cave?
In a conservation effort, food or drink is not allowed in the caverns. It only takes a small amount of these foreign materials to make a big difference to the cavern environment and to the cleanliness of the mine. However, if you need to bring either food or drink with you for health purposes it can be approved by your guide.
- Is there an age, height, or weight limit?