Wednesdays & Saturdays - 9:40 AM
Wednesdays - 9:00 AM
- Est. 1999, this outdoor photo class has booked over 30,000 students
- Featured on the NBC Today Show, your Paris-trained architectural photographer offers hands-on tips
- Basic architectural photography including exposure, composition, lighting, outdoor portraiture, and interior photography without flash or tripod at Union Station
- Hone your skills as a photographer and immerse yourself in the nation's capitol!
Explore the nation's capitol and it's most popular monuments and historic buildings on this Photo Tour of Washington DC!
Let the experts teach you how to take great photos in either a half- or full-day workshop. Get hands-on tips in basic architectural photography, exposure, composition, lighting and outdoor portraiture while you're in the field! You'll also stop at Union Station for a quick lesson on interior photography without flash or a tripod.
For the half-day session, you'll visit the most popular monuments and historic buildings in Washington including the White House, Lafayette Park, Union Station, Lincoln Memorial, Korea Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial.
The full day version includes the morning session described above and, after lunch in Union Station, goes on to the colorful Adams Morgan entertainment/restaurant district for training in "right-brained" abstract photography. Next you'll venture to the magnificent Washington National Cathedral for a lesson on the best ways to capture church interiors.
The afternoon will finish at the famous 76-foot tall Iwo Jima Marine Corps Memorial in Arlington. Here you can duplicate the famous photograph taken by AP photographer Joe Rosenthal on Mt. Suribachi in 1945 and capture six soldiers against a backdrop of the Washington Monument and the US Capitol across the Potomac River.
- Transportation and materials are included
- Participants must bring their own photography equipment
Half-day tours last approximately 3.5 hours; full-day tours last approximately 8 hours
You will be accompanied by other participants with up to 10 photographers per tour.
This experience is only for booked participants.
This experience is not weather dependent. Be prepared for the weather and get your camera ready to capture natural elements.
What to Wear:
Please dress appropriately for expected weather conditions. You will be walking throughout the tour, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 14 days prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
What should I bring?
Listed below is suggested, optional equipment to bring with you. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to inquire further.
* If you have a point and shoot camera, please learn how to turn the flash off and on and how to use the white balance feature
* If you have an SLR body, bring lenses from 20mm up to 300mm, if available. If not, an 18-55mm or 18-70mm lens is fine
* Circular Polarizing filter and neutral density filters
* Digital shooters, bring several memory cards or backup devices
* Film shooters, bring several rolls of film, ISO 200-400
* Spare fully charged batteries or fresh alkalines
* Lens cleaning kit (air blower, brush, etc)
How long is the tour?
You can choose from either a half-day tour lasting approximately 3.5 hours or a full-day tour lasting approximately 8 hours.
What happens if it rains?
The Photo Tour of Washington DC runs rain or shine. In the event of severe inclement weather you will be taken to covered locations.
Other Washington DC Gift Ideas:(View all 71 Washington DC experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCFrom: $224Avg Rating of: 5(21)
- Capitol Hill Food TourFrom: $61Avg Rating of: 4-half(17)
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $220
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,395Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Chesapeake Bay Sailing CruiseFrom: $70Avg Rating of: 5(17)
- Private Wine Education TourFrom: $85Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Fly a WWII BiplaneFrom: $250Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- Washington DC Dinner CruiseFrom: $131Avg Rating of: 3-half(11)
- All Washington DC Experiences
"The Washington Photo Safari was excellent. David did a wonderful job explaining some camera basics as well as more advanced shooting techniques. The knowledge range of fellow participants was very wide, but the small class size enabled David to provide one-on-one attention to every participant. I look forward to signing up for another class in the near future."
"David was great. Really helpful in giving instructions on how to take better pictures."
"Cloud 9 Living was easy to use and very quick with providing me with a confirmation for my booking. It's a great source for your next adventure!"