Photo Tour of Washington DC
Year Round: Full days are available on Wednesdays. Half Days are available on Wednesdays & Saturdays.
- 14,000 people have participated in this outdoor photo class that has run since 1999
- Featured on the NBC Today Show, your Paris-trained architectural photographer gives you hands-on tips
- Basic architectural photography, exposure, composition, lighting, outdoor portraiture, and, at Union Station, interior photography without flash or tripod.
Embark on a photo tour of the most popular monuments and historic buildings in D.C. on one of the nation's leading providers of photography training field trips.
This is an excellent experience to hone your skills as a photographer and immerse yourself in the nation's capitol. 14,000 have toured and learned from this experience since 1999, more than half returning for 2-3 additional photography workshops.
Learn how to take great pictures BEFORE you go on that expensive trip! Join the standard "Monuments and Memorials" workshop, offered as a half-day or full day session every Wednesday and as a half-day session on Saturdays.
For the half-day session, you'll visit the most popular monuments and historic buildings in Washington including:
- The White House, Lafayette Park, Union Station
- Lincoln, Korea, Vietnam & Vietnam Women's Memorials
While you are taking the pictures, get hands-on tips in basic architectural photography, exposure, composition, lighting, outdoor portraiture, and, at Union Station, interior photography without flash or tripod.
The full day version includes the morning session described above and, after lunch in Union Station, goes on to the colorful Adams Morgan entertainment/restaurant district for training in "right-brained" abstract photography.
We'll head to the magnificent Washington National Cathedral where we teach you how (and how not) to photograph church interiors.
Our afternoon session ends at the famous 76-foot tall Iwo Jima Marine Corps Memorial in Arlington.
Here you can duplicate the famous photograph taken by AP photographer Joe Rosenthal on Mt. Suribachi in 1945 and capture in your camera each of the six soldiers depicted in Clint Eastwood's recent movie, Flag of our Fathers, against a backdrop of the Washington Monument and the US Capitol across the Potomac River.
Transportation and materials are included.
Photographic equipment is not included.
Half Day or Full Day. Tours begin at 9:30am.
There are up to 10 photographers per tour.
This experience is not weather dependent. Be prepared for the weather and get your camera ready to capture the elements.
What to Wear:
Dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance of intended date of use.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
What should I bring?
Here is a general list of suggested equipment. It is optional, not required. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any concerns or questions.
* If you have a point and shoot camera, please learn how to turn the flash off and on and how to use the white balance feature;
* If you have an SLR body, bring lenses from 20mm up to 300mm, if available .If not, an 18-55mm or 18-70mm lens is fine
* Circular Polarizing filter and, if you have them, neutral density filters
* Digital shooters, bring several memory cards or backup devices
* Film shooters, bring several rolls of film, ISO 200-400
* Spare fully charged batteries or fresh alkalines
* Lens cleaning kit (air blower, brush etc)
What happens if it rains?
Our photo tours operate rain or shine. When it rains hard, we take you to covered locations.
Other Washington DC Experiences:(View all 71 Washington DC experiences)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCFrom: $229Avg Rating of: 4-half(11)
- Capitol Hill Food TourFrom: $75Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Stock Car Ride Along - DoverFrom: $109Avg Rating of: 5(11)
- Drive a Stock Car - DoverFrom: $429Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- Ride & Drive a Stock Car - DoverFrom: $509Avg Rating of: 5(9)
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $255
- Whitewater RaftingFrom: $95Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Shenandoah Valley Biplane for 2From: $430Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- All Washington DC Experiences
- Gift Certificates
"David was great. Really helpful in giving instructions on how to take better pictures."
"Cloud 9 Living was easy to use and very quick with providing me with a confirmation for my booking. It's a great source for your next adventure!"
"David was a wonderful, knowledgeable instructor, who shared very valuable tips and "nuggets" for a 3-hour photography lesson. We were a small group and he took time to address our unique challenges/opportunities based on the camera models we had. This is a good intro to the very basic mechanics of photography. Someone with even a little more experience/knowledge might choose a more in-depth tour."