Broadview Heights, OH
May to October is best. The temperature must be above 60 degrees.
Availability is arranged around standard course schedules.
- 1 day experience learning all about bees and the history of bee keeping
- Understand all the tools of the trade and how to build a hive of your own
- Handle bees without the fear of being stung
- Learn how beekeepers maximize honey production
Whether you want to run your own bee colony, or simply just want to explore something so unique and interesting, then this bee keeping experience is for you!
This bee keeping course will provide you all the necessary information and "hands-on" experience to start your own bee colony in your own backyard, even if your property only measures 50 x 100 feet!
Your day long class will use live demonstrations, hands-on activities, video tapes and text to ensure you walk away with a functional knowledge of bees and bee keeping. The goal of the class is to give you the knowledge and confidence to start and manage your own bee colony, if you so desire. At the conclusion of the class, all you will need to do is to place 2 phone calls - one to order your bees and the second to order a hive and accessories.
Topics to be covered are:
- What equipment to get, where to get it, and how to use it
- Why keep bees? Bees and the history of beekeeping, how bees make honey, parts of a bee hive
- Tools and clothing, ordering bees, building and placement of a hive
- Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter Management
- Setting up a colony, how to handle bees without fear of being stung
- The effect of weather, how to take honey off the hive, judging honey quality, selling your honey, preventing swarms, pests and diseases of the honey bee and what to do about them
- How to get maximum honey production, moving and combining hives, releasing a Queen, catching and installing a swarm
- All materials are included
- Participants must be at least 18 years old
For up to 6
This experience is not weather dependent
What to Wear:
Instructor will inform you of the clothing you will need prior to the course.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 30 days in advance.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date, cancel or reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Other Cleveland Gift Ideas:(View all 26 Cleveland experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly a Diamond AircraftFrom: $135Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Learn to Fly a CessnaFrom: $162
- NASCAR Ride Along - MichiganFrom: $109
- Drive a NASCAR Stock Car - MichiganFrom: $538
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- West Side Market Tour (For 2+)From: $84Avg Rating of: 4-half(10)
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $250Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,395Avg Rating of: 5(4)
- Tandem SkydivingFrom: $229Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- All Cleveland Experiences