- Your coaches have more than 41 years of experience
- The sport of fencing tones and tunes the body, improves agility and heightens mental acuity
- Learn about the rules, regulations and scoring system of fencing
- You will also leave with a brief history and knowledge of the sport
The art of fencing can be traced back to the 12th century and is one of only four sports that have been featured in every modern Olympic Games.
This lesson will give you an overall understanding of basic technique, style, footwork and blade work and teach you the point scoring system of this elegant and historical sport.
Improve your fitness, develop mental acuity, embrace the delicacy of movement and have fun in your private fencing lesson. Learn the true art, science and spirit of the sword in either Foil, Epee or Sabre style.
Your coach has over 40 years of experience in the sport and looks forward to working with you to develop basic skills and give you an overall understanding of technique, style and point systems in the elegant and historical game of fencing.
This is great for beginners and recreational fencers to learn new skills in a classical sport.
For ages 8 and up. All equipment is provided.
1 hour increments
This is a private session for 1 or 2 people.
Spectators are welcome to watch the lesson, but not participate.
This experience is not weather dependent.
What to Wear:
Wear athletic clothing and sneakers.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance of intended date of use.
Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rebooking are allowed up to 14 days prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
What is fencing?
The sport of fencing is fast and athletic, a far cry from the choreographed bouts you see on film, or on the stage. Instead of swinging from a chandelier or leaping from balconies, you will see two fencers performing an intense dance on a six-feet-by 40 feet strip. The movement is so fast the touches are scored electronically; more like Star Wars than Errol Flynn. ?
What is the object of fencing?
The main object of a fencing bout (what an individual "game" is called) is to effectively score 15 points (in direct elimination play) or five points (in preliminary pool play) on your opponent before he scores that number on you. Each time a fencer scores a touch, she receives a point. Direct elimination matches consist of three, three-minute periods.
What type of weapons are used for fencing?
Foil, epee and sabra are the three weapons used in the sport of fencing. While it is not unusual for fencers to compete in all three events, they generally choose to develop their skills in one weapon.
Other Ft Lauderdale Gift Ideas:(View all 42 Ft Lauderdale experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Stock Car Ride AlongFrom: $149Avg Rating of: 5(11)
- Drive a Stock CarFrom: $559Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- Learn to FlyFrom: $210Avg Rating of: 4-half(16)
- Fort Lauderdale Food TourFrom: $99
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Playing Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $229Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Oleta Kayak TourFrom: $85Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Pedal & Paddle TourFrom: $99Avg Rating of: 5(1)
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,492Avg Rating of: 5(12)
- All Ft Lauderdale Experiences
"As a child, I wanted to try fencing. My parents had no resources or desire for their 12 year old daughter to engage an opponent with a weapon. For my 45th birthday, I decided that it was time to check it off my bucket list. What an experience it was! When I saw myself in full gear, I felt like I was 12 years old again. I learned the basics and now have a great memory of something that has followed me all of my life."