New York Hang Gliding Lesson
May through October:
Daily - 8:00 AM
- Your instructor is certified by the U.S. Hang Gliding Association and has over 25 years of experience
- Initial instruction introduces you to the sport and provides coaching on how to hold and lift the glider
- At the practice hill, put your new skills to use and experience the freedom of flight with you at the controls
- You will get to fly by yourself!
Your experience starts with a lesson where you will learn about hang gliders and the basics of how it works. The instructor is certified by the U.S. Hang Gliding Association and has over 25 years of experience- participants are in good hands!
After the lesson it's over to the landing field for ground school. In ground school the participant will learn to lift the glider, how to hold it and how to move with the glider. After ground school, the only thing left to do is fly!
Enthusiastic certified instructors will be your guides as you progress safely and incrementally into a skilled, confident, and self-reliant mountain pilot.
By the end of the day you will know how to launch, fly & land a Hang Glider at the training hill!
- The maximum weight is220 pounds
- Participants under the age of 18 must have a parent present to sign a parental consent form
- Participants will be required to present a valid photo ID (passport or driver's license)
Approximately 6 hours
Up to 7 participants per class
Spectators are allowed to watch the participant fly the hang glider.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions. It is recommended to wear long pants and sturdy, comfortable, closed-toed shoes.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 14 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is cancelled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
Is hang gliding safe?
As with any sports, carelessness and irresponsibility can result in serious consequences. However, when approached conservatively, utilizing good judgment, hang gliding is a fun and safe form of weekend recreation.
How do you steer a hang glider?
Hang gliders are controlled by shifting the pilot's weight with respect to the glider. Pilots are suspended from a hang strap connected to the glider's frame. By moving forward and backward and side to side at the end of this hang strap, the pilot alters the center of gravity of the glider. This then causes the glider to pitch or roll in the direction of the pilot's motion and thus allows both speed control and turning.
What is the difference between a hang glider and a paraglider?
A hang glider has a rigid frame maintaining the shape of the wing, with the pilot usually flying in a prone position. The paraglider canopy shape is maintained by its internal air pressure and the pilot is suspended in a sitting or supine position.
Other New York Gift Ideas:(View all 128 New York experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Wine Tasting SailAvg Rating of: 4-half(58)From: $98
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(24)From: $152
- Learn to Fly a Helicopter - Pittstown, NJAvg Rating of: 5(13)From: $350
- Learn to Fly a Helicopter - Westchester, NYAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $340
- Stock Car Ride AlongAvg Rating of: 5(34)From: $139
- Drive a Stock CarAvg Rating of: 5(27)From: $549
- Chocolate, Dessert & Drink TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(36)From: $59
- Best of Brooklyn Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(37)From: $125
- Race a FerrariFrom: $388
- All New York Experiences
"Overall an amazing experience. Upon arrival, we began right away and got right into learning how to assemble the glider and go over all procedures, safety, and instructions. Then we did some test runs on level ground, followed by going halfway up the practice hill. There wasn't any wind for best gliding so the instructors brought out a scooter pull to create artificial wind and we had hours of fun. I would definitely do it again."
"Awesome all around."
"My girlfriend bought this for us for my 22nd birthday and we thought we would experience actual hang gliding but all we experienced was the tutorial and annoying bugs. We were supposed to do tandem hang gliding at a disclosed location but the day before they changed the address to a hang gliding school. When my girlfriend bought this package, it clearly stated that we were supposed to do tandem hang gliding with an instructor and not just learn the basics. We are dissatisfied with the experience and we would like to be compensated. Thank you very much, Etan"