Newport Cocktail Sail
Bowens Wharf - Newport, Rhode Island
May (Mother's Day) - Early September
Monday through Friday - 4:30 PM or 5:00 PM
There's no better way to enjoy a sail along Newport's coastline than with a Dark and Stormy in hand, the wind in your face and the water on the horizon.
- Enjoy a 1.5 hour sail through scenic Narragansett Bay as you take in Newport's historic sights
- Climb aboard a classic 80 foot schooner-style sailboat with masts reaching 70' in the sky
- Sample the local version of a traditional sailing drink, made with Newport's own Thomas Tew's Rum and Rhode Island Yacht Club's ginger beer
What better way could there be to end a day in Newport than cruising aboard a classic sailboat sipping on a Dark and Stormy?
As you set off through Narragansett Bay, take in Newport's iconic sites, including:
- The Newport Bridge
- Historic lighthouses
- Fort Adams - a 19th century historic military landmark
- Stately waterfront mansions
- Hammersmith Farm - the former summer house of JFK
- America's Cup boats and other performance sailing yachts
Your local crew are always ready to answer questions about the sights and history of Newport and it's historic maritime culture.
So grab a cocktail and a seat on deck as you spend a little time on the waters of Newport!
About the Adirondack II:
You'll be sailing aboard a wooden hull schooner with masts reaching over 70' with just under 2,000 square feet of sail area. The ship is 80' long, with 65' on deck. She's an elegant vessel and very lively under sail.
- Passengers must arrive at the booth at least 30-45 minutes before the departure time
- Passengers must be 21 years of age to consume alcoholic beverages and have proper identification
- Children under the age of 4 are not allowed on this sail
- Passengers may bring aboard food, but may not bring aboard beverages
- Price does not include cost of Dark and Stormies or other drinks
- Dark and Stormies are available for $4, wine and beer are available for $3, soda is available for $2 and water is provided at no cost (prices are subject to change)
- The vessel does have a "marine head" style bathroom on board
- Gratuity is not included in the package price
- It is customary to tip the crew if you enjoyed your sail, and please remember to tip your bartender if you enjoyed your service
This experience is weather dependent; however, this experience may go forward in light weather conditions. In the event of inclement weather the sail may be cancelled and you will be rescheduled for another date. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
The temperature can be cooler out on the water, so dress accordingly. We ask that passengers wear only soft soled shoes such as sneakers, deck shoes, flip-flops or sandals. Don't forget your camera!
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 1 month in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, you may reschedule with your experience provider up to 72 hours prior to the Experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule in accordance with these terms will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Can we bring our own food or drink on board?
You may bring your own food on board, but personal drinks may not be brought on board. Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are available for purchase on board.
Are Dark and Stormies or other drinks included in the cost of the experience?
No. Dark and Stormies are available for purchase for $4, beer and wine are available for purchase for $3, soda is available for $2, and water is provided at no cost (prices are subject to change).
Is this a "booze cruise"?
No. While alcoholic beverage are available for purchase and the crew will be serving a few rounds, this in not an unlimited "booze cruise". Your crew aims to create an elegant, relaxing and peaceful experience for all guests to enjoy.
Am I likely to get seasick?
The Adirondack II is a steady, gentle vessel. It is rare for passengers to become seasick. However, if you historically experience seasickness while sailing you may want to explore taking some type of motion sickness medication.
What exactly do we see on the sail?
While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, the captain tries to follow the following route: heading south out of Newport Harbor, Schooner Adirondack II passes by a 19th century fort. She then sails out to Castle Hill Light House while passing stately waterfront mansions and seven different yacht clubs. You will enjoy fantastic views of the Newport waterfront on the way back to Bowen's Wharf.
Is there any narration on the sail?
There will be light narration on the sail. The captain and crew will give you some information about the sights you see along the way, but this is a relaxing, leisurely sail on Narragansett Bay.
Is the Schooner Adirondak II safe?
Absolutely. While known for her speed, the Schooner Adirondack II is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. Water, beverages, blankets, pillows and life jackets are available should you feel you need one. There is also a private marine head (bathroom) and salon below deck.
Is there a bathroom on the boat?
Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. It's called a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple instructions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
Can I stow my belongings during the sail?
There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded and the crew cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items.
Is there a reduced price for children?
Children between the age of 4 and 12 receive a $5 discount on the ticket (subject to change). Please contact Cloud 9 Living for special pricing. Children under the age of 4 are not allowed on the Newport Cocktail Sail.
Other Rhode Island Gift Ideas:(View all 15 Rhode Island experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Newport Cocktail SailAvg Rating of: 5(2)From: $64
- Newport Scenic SailAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $64
- Stock Car Ride AlongFrom: $89
- Drive a Stock CarAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $289
- Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $314
- Morning Mimosa Sail in NewportAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $64
- Newport Sunset SailAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $82
- America's Cup Sailing - NewportAvg Rating of: 5(3)From: $85
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- All Rhode Island Experiences
"Schooner was gorgeous! Guide knew her stuff! It was a wonderful day!"
"My boyfriend and I went on the Newport Cocktail Sail and had an amazing time! The captain and crew were incredibly knowledgeable and fun, and we got to see some beautiful sights. There's no other way to celebrate a beautiful day than on the water with your other half. Thanks to Cloud 9 Living for organizing such a perfect day!"