La Jolla, CA
December - March:
Daily - 10:00 AM
*During gray whale migrations
- See these magnificent whales as they migrate between Alaska and Baja
- A quick briefing on kayak safety and technique and you are off
- Paddle about a mile off-shore to see the whales, as well as seals, sea lions and dolphins
- Truly a great way to see La Jolla and the aquatic life around
There is no better way to experience the California Gray Whale migration than from a kayak. A once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Kayak out from La Jolla Shores and watch these magnificent creatures as they migrate between Alaska and the birthing grounds in Baja, Mexico.
Approximately 20,000 gray whales pass San Diego in their 10,000 mile annual migration from the Bering Sea to Baja California.
The whales' migration path is such that they come very close to La Jolla Shores. By paddling about a mile or slightly more off-shore, you can catch these incredible animals, plus other marine mammals such as seals, sea lions and dolphins.
- Participants must be at least 8 years of age and able to swim
- No kayaking experience necessary
- Kayaks, paddles and life jackets are included
- Wet suits are available for rent on the day of the experience
- Warm drinks are provided after the paddle
Group size varies
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear a swim suit, a top to wear under wet suit, a hat and sunscreen. Please DO NOT bring valuables and things that cannot get wet.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 14 days prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
What is provided?
Kayaks, paddles, life jackets and a guide. We use stable, easy-to-paddle sit-on-top kayaks. No kayaking experience is required.Warm drinks are provided after the paddle. Wet suits are available for rent.
What do I bring?
Swim suit or similar shorts/top to wear under wet suit, hat, sunscreen. Shoes that can get wet. Bring (or buy on the day of the experience) a 'leash' for valuable glasses. You can leave a towel and dry clothes at the shop for afterwards. Please DO NOT bring valuables and things that cannot get wet: cell phones, pagers, car keys, non-waterproof watches, non-waterproof cameras.
What should I expect?
The pace is not strenuous, but expect to do some paddling! This is an active tour, though no experience is required. Upon arrival, you will receive a life jacket, kayak and paddle. Wet suits are available for rent. After a brief paddle instruction and safety talk, you will walk down to the end of the street with your guide. Wildlife sightings cannot be guaranteed.
What does it cost to rent a wet suit?
Wet suits are available for rent on the day of the experience. You can rent a short wet suit for $10.00 or a long wet suit for $15.00 (price is subject to change).
What is the age requirement?
All participants must be at least 8 years of age and able to swim.
What happens if there is inclement weather?
In the event that the weather cancels your trip, we will issue you a rain check!
Do you guarantee I will see a whale?
No, we cannot guarantee every participant will see a whale. However, we do run these tours during prime whale watching season (December through March or April) and usually have great luck in seeing whales and other wildlife.
Other San Diego Gift Ideas:(View all 75 San Diego experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak TourFrom: $66Avg Rating of: 4-half(22)
- San Diego Brewery TourFrom: $119Avg Rating of: 4-half(2)
- Stock Car Ride AlongFrom: $130
- Drive a Stock CarFrom: $499
- Romantic Gondola Cruise (for 2+)From: $105Avg Rating of: 5(10)
- Learn to FlyFrom: $263Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- San Diego Dinner CruiseFrom: $119Avg Rating of: 5(8)
- Champagne Brunch CruiseFrom: $83Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- Fighter Pilot for a DayFrom: $1,395Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- All San Diego Experiences