Hang Gliding Lesson
Tres Pinos, CA
Saturday and Sunday 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM
April, September and Early-October:
Saturday and Sunday 8:00 AM and 2:30 PM
Mid-October through March:
Saturday and Sunday 9:30 AM
- Learn from USHGA certified instructors that have more than 30 years of experience teaching the sport
- Take to the practice hill to learn how to land and take off
- Feel what it's like to lift off of the ground and soar through the air!
The owner and lead instructor has over 30 years of experience and is a leader in the development of modern hang gliding training standards and the U.S. Hang Gliding Association Instructor Certification Program.
During your 1-hour orientation and ground school, your experienced, USHGA Certified Instructor will teach you the basics of operating the glider and proper safety procedures.
Next you will practice takeoff runs and landings learning what the glider feels like floating over your head as you run along and how to control its actions.
When you and the glider begin to understand each other, it's time to move onto the slope, where you'll really get a chance to FLY!
- No experience necessary
- Participants must be at least 5' tall and weigh between 90 and 290 pounds
- You will be responsible for your transportation between the orientation in Milpitas and the hillside lesson in Hollister.
1 hour ground school/orientation followed by a 4-5 hour hands-on lesson.
Up to 5 per instructor
Spectators are welcome and are encouraged to take photos during the lesson.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions and closed-toe shoes or sneakers are recommended.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 3-5 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 72 hours prior to your experience to avoid an $80 rescheduling fee. Failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
How is the hang glider controlled?
The pilot is suspended in a harness from a pivot point at the center of the glider. Swing your body back and the glider climbs. Move forward and it descends. Shift your weight to the side and the glider banks and turns.
Are gliders heavy?
Gliders range from 40 to 70 pounds. Training gliders are the lightest. They seem awkward at first, but you will soon learn to use the wind to make the glider float over your head, light as a feather. On the training hill, you will use wheels to move them from the landing area back to the takeoff.
What if I'm afraid of heights?
A remarkable number of advanced pilots say they are afraid of heights!Thanks to careful, progressive steps learning to fly, and the security of a good glider and harness, pilots take to the air without any feelings of being on the edge.
Is hang gliding safe?
All action sports have elements of risk. Good risk management is the key to safe participation. Hang gliding risk is reduced by the use of good equipment, proper instruction, practiced skills, and good judgment.
What if I'm feeling nervous about the lesson?
Our experience provider invites you to stop by their shop in Milpitas prior to your lesson for a personal orientation. You'll have the opportunity to get in a hang gliding harness to see how it feels and also watch training videos of students learning on the training hills in Tres Pinos. You are welcome to take advantage of this offer anytime they are open (Wednesday - Friday from 11:00 AM - 5:30 PM and Saturdays from 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM).
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 106 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(38)From: $55
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4-half(12)From: $279
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(16)From: $100
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $160
- Bioluminescent Kayak Adventure in Tomales BayFrom: $75
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(10)From: $55
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $85
- All San Francisco Experiences
"It was a very fun introduction to hang gliding. We felt safe and supported, and in the small group setting we had a lot of individual attention, so we could each move at our own pace and feel like we were pushing our own limits. Of course we wish we could have had longer, higher flights - but there's a lot to learn about the sport, so we'll just have to go back again later."