Salinas Municipal Airport - Salinas, CA
Daily - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
*Pending pilot availability
- Learn to fly aboard a Cessna 172 - one of the world's finest training aircrafts
- Fly above California's legendary Big Sur coastline, arguably the most scenic section of coastal beaches and cliffs in the U.S.
- Get a bird's eye view of sites such as the Monterey Peninsula, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and more!
- Learn from FAA certified pilots from Northern California's leading flight school with over 50 years experience of flight training
Looking for the gift that will be cherished for a lifetime? Look no more. Our Learn to Fly experience is the perfect gift for anyone in your life who has always dreamed of flying.
You'll be flying aboard a Cessna 172 with a FAA Certified Instructor at your side. You'll start with a guided tour of the airplane and its controls before taking off for a beautiful flight along the Big Sur coastline.
You'll experience and learn how to manage complex airspace, learn about aircraft flight and have a chance to take the controls yourself.
You'll depart Salinas Municipal Airport and fly towards Monterey Bay. Follow the lovely beaches to the Monterey Peninsula and take in the historic Pebble Beach golf course and 29 mile drive.
Then fly over Carmel, Point Lobos and the dramatic Big Sur coast with its mountains dropping straight into the sea. If you're lucky you might even spot whales or dolphins below in the Pacific.
Soon you'll spot Pt. Sur Lighthouse on its lonely rock outcrop attached to the mainland just by a sandbar. Along the beach you might see sea lions or seal resting.
Then you'll head back through the spectacular mountains of Big Sur, crossing Carmel Valley with its farm fields and the Salinas River.
You can bring up to one or two friends depending upon the flight option selected (weight limits permitting) and your tour can be customized to your wishes.
So prepare for an unforgettable experience, and come learn to fly!
No experience necessary.
1.5 Hour Flight with up to 1 passenger option: Maximum individual participant weight is 250 lbs., total maximum weight of all participants is 500 lbs.
1.5 Hour Flight with 2 passengers option: Maximum individual participant weight is 250 lbs., total maximum weight of all participants is 500 lbs.
Approximately 2 hour total with 30 minutes of ground instruction and approximately 1.5 hour flight time.
1 student and up to 2 passengers depending upon option selected; however, the total weight of both the student and the passengers must be no more than 500 lbs.
Depending upon option selected, students may bring along 1 or 2 passengers aboard the plane for the flight (weight permitting), otherwise additional spectators may come to the airport to watch or take pictures of take-off or landing.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the Experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions, closed-toe shoes, and sunglasses are highly recommended. Also, don't forget to bring a camera!
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, rescheduling is allowed with at least 72 hours notice to your experience provider. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 101 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseFrom: $50Avg Rating of: 5(22)
- Learn to Fly Big SurFrom: $279Avg Rating of: 3-half(5)
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Gourmet Chocolate TourFrom: $70Avg Rating of: 5(5)
- Champagne Brunch CruiseFrom: $96Avg Rating of: 5(8)
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseFrom: $154Avg Rating of: 4(9)
- America's Cup SailingFrom: $140Avg Rating of: 5(2)
- Performance Racing Prosail 40 CruiseFrom: $210
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate TourFrom: $76Avg Rating of: 5(3)
- All San Francisco Experiences
"The whole experience was really awesome. Pilot was super friendly, it was a beautiful day and I got ridiculous views of Monterey Bay and Big Sur. Would recommend to anyone- and there's a reason it's so popular!"
"Great experience! Fabulous co-pilot! Beautiful sites! I would highly recommend it! "
"The aircraft appeared to be in poor state of maintainance. On the first day the flight had to be abondened since the aircraft communication system failed. The rescheduled flight was generally satisfactory. "