April through December
Daily - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Perfect for adventurers looking for more than just a walk through the cave
- Get geared up with a hardhat with lights, gloves and coveralls
- Follow in the footsteps of visitors like Mark Twain and John Muir as you explore these underground wonders
- Unforgettable experience for families, kids & adults looking for adventure!
In 1849, Captain Joseph Taylor was target practicing on a rocky outcropping and noticed that his targets were being moved by a breeze which seemed to emanate from the rocks. When the Captain investigated this curious phenomenon, he discovered the entrance to a cave which he named Mammoth Cave.
Shortly later, this amazing natural phenomenon was opened to the public for tours, making it the first show cave in California.
For over 150 years, visitors have enjoyed the unique and delicate beauty of the cavern's crystalline formations.
On this adventure, you'll suit up with coveralls, gloves and a hardhat with lights to explore the historic "Mammoth Cave" area and the "Jungle Room". On this 2 to 3-hour tour, you'll walk, crawl, wiggle and squirm through natural passages connecting 13 spectacular chambers.
Prepare for an underground adventure you'll never forget!
- Participants must be at least 8 years old
- Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- All tight crawl ways and squeezes are optional
- Cave temperature is typically 55 degrees year-round
2 - 3 hours
You may be accompanied by up to 9 participants per tour.
This experience is only for those booked on the tour.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
You will be provided all necessary caving equipment, including gloves, helmet with light, and coveralls. Wear sturdy shoes that have traction soles and a long sleeve shirt, rugged, loose fitting pants and avoid clothes that absorb water.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, you may reschedule your experience up to 14 days prior to the experience. Failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 14 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
What time of year is this experience available?
This experience is only available during the dry season, to ensure there is not excessive water in the cave. Although the dry season ranges, the Mammoth Cave typically is open April through December.
Is there a minimum age?
Participants must be at least 8 years of age. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 104 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(37)From: $55
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4-half(12)From: $279
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(10)From: $55
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(16)From: $100
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(21)From: $160
- Playing Lesson with a PGA ProAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $220
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(11)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $85
- All San Francisco Experiences