San Juan Island, WA- Friday Harbor
May through September
- Your guides have over 24 years experience and were a 2009 recipient of National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine's "200 Best Adventure Travel" award
- Enjoy 3 days and 2 nights exploring these pristine waters and uninhabited San Juan Islands
- Take in the breathtaking scenery as you view Orca Whales, Great Blue Herons, and Bald Eagles
- These pristine waters are host to over 80 resident Orca Whales, and provide the best chance to observe these wonderful creatures in their natural habitat
The pristine waters of the San Juan Islands and Gulf Islands are host to over 85 resident Orca Whales and other wildlife.
On your first day, we'll work our way northward kayaking along the picturesque west side of San Juan Island. We'll have spectacular views of the Olympic Mountain range to the south and Vancouver Island to the west. After we cross Spieden Channel we'll be paddling among forested, rocky islands including Spieden, Goose and John. Our destination for the night is Reid Harbor on Stuart Island, which is only accessible by boat.
On your second day, we'll do "le grand" circumnavigation around Stuart Island passing by many smaller uninhabited islands and glide past numerous birds including Great Blue Herons, Cormorants and Bald Eagles. We'll return to our campsite on Stuart for another tastefully prepared dinner.
Your third day will be spent retracing our route back to our put-in site. You'll be in prime whale viewing territory again, so your chances of seeing resident Orca Whales is high. This is a terrific ending to a memorable 3 day adventure!
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age
- All kayak gear, meals, tents, dry bags are included
3 days and 2 nights
Group size varies, but average 6-8 participants.
This experience is only for those on the tour.
We go rain or shine so dress appropriately.
What to Wear:
Outfitter will provide gear and packing list at time of booking.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings 30 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation no refunds will be given; however, cancellations made at least 45 days prior to the Experience will incur a cancellation fee of $30, with the remaining balance to be applied to another future booking of a Cloud 9 Living Experience of the participant's choice. Cancellations made 21-45 days prior to the Experience will incur a cancellation fee of $184.50, with the remaining balance to be applied to another future booking of a Cloud 9 Living Experience of the participant's choice. Failure to appear on your booked date or to cancel and rebook at least 21 days prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your Experience.
What gear is provided for the trip?
Kayaks and all related gear, tent, large and small dry bags, tasteful cuisine, transportation between Friday Harbor and the launch location. Sleeping bag and pad are available for rent.
What gear will I need?
Water bottle, sunglasses and/or hat, sunscreen, appropriate kayak and camp clothing and footwear (preferably not cotton or denim – quick-dry, synthetic and/or athletic layers work best, and extra layers are always recommended; Chacos, Tevas, Crocs and water socks are great footwise for paddling, and extra pair of shoes for camp, sleeping bag and pad.
How many miles do we kayak in 3 days?
Over the course of 3 days you will kayak 32 miles. Each day will consist of about 4-5 hours of kayaking with a long lunch break in between.
Other Seattle Gift Ideas:(View all 34 Seattle experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to FlyAvg Rating of: 5(7)From: $175
- Learn to Fly a HelicopterAvg Rating of: 4-half(6)From: $220
- Gourmet Seattle Food & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(19)From: $84
- Chocolate Indulgence TourAvg Rating of: 5(6)From: $62
- Food Tour of Pike Place MarketAvg Rating of: 5(12)From: $51
- Lake Union Date Night CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(1)From: $285
- Lake Union Sunset CruiseFrom: $94
- San Juan Island Kayak TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(7)From: $108
- Indoor SkydivingFrom: $66
- All Seattle Experiences
"I just wanted to let you know how much Mike and I enjoyed our trip with Paul last week. We saw just about every kind of marine life around while out there! The whales were awesome! It was my first time in a kayak and I felt very comfortable and safe"