Fridays & Sundays - 11:00 AM
- A seasoned guide will lead you through the vineyard and class explaining how the award-winning wines are produced
- Wines have received prestigious accolades from Virginia Wine Lover's Reader's Choice and the Virginia Governor's Cup Competition
- Receive coupons for complimentary wine tastings
- Unwind and complete your day with a delicious picnic at the vineyard!
Escape to the Philip Carter Winery in the beautiful Virginia Piedmont countryside for an educational and romantic afternoon!
Begin your experience with a guided vineyard and winery tour by a certified Philip Carter Wine Educator. You will learn the history of the Carter family wines that date back to 1762.
Following the tour is a wine education and appreciation class in the King Carter Suite focusing on the fermentation process and wine terms.
Your tour finale is a relaxing picnic on the grounds including local Virginia cheese, cured meat, Virginia chutney and chocolates.
- All participants must be at least 21 years of age with valid ID
- Take home a souvenir corkscrew and Philip Carter Winery tasting glasses
- Complimentary tastings of current wines as well as an exclusive tasting of a special reserve wine
- Receive a 10% discount on any purchase of a bottle of wine
The tour and wine educational course combined is approximately 1 hour in length. The picnic can be enjoyed at your own pace.
This is a private experience for your party of 2 or 4 people.
Friends and family are welcome to visit the winery separately as it is open to the public.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider directly with questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Please dress appropriately for expected weather conditions and walking.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have received a booking confirmation, cancellations and rescheduling are allowed up to 72 hours prior to the experience with the provider directly. Failure to appear on your booked date, cancel or reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience.
Is there an age requirement for this experience?
Yes, all participants must be at least 21 years of age with a valid ID.
Are wine tastings included in the price?
On the Private Wine Education Tour, you will be given complimentary tastings of each wine currently available, including an exclusive tasting of a special reserve wine.
Can I keep the whole picnic?
The picnic basket, cutting board and blanket must be returned at the end of your visit, but the rest of the picnic is yours!
Other Washington DC Gift Ideas:(View all 76 Washington DC experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Learn to Fly in Washington DCAvg Rating of: 5(22)From: $224
- Capitol Hill Food TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(20)From: $61
- Hot Air Balloon RideFrom: $220
- Golf Lesson with a PGA ProFrom: $129
- Chesapeake Bay Sailing CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(19)From: $70
- Private Wine Education TourAvg Rating of: 4-half(6)From: $85
- Fly a WWII BiplaneAvg Rating of: 5(7)From: $250
- Washington DC Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 3-half(11)From: $131
- Gourmet Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4(4)From: $167
- All Washington DC Experiences
"The private tour at the Philip Carter Winery was excellent. We were escorted through the vineyards by the wine maker himself and were provided with a very informative and interesting view of wine production in America, Virginia and at Philip Carter in particular. The private tasting that followed was one of the best that we have experienced. Our hostess for the tasting was very knowledgeable and entertaining! We loved everything about this experience. "
"I personally don't think this was worth the price paid."
"Tour guide was exceptional, and I enjoyed the experience. Was especially good as winery was in harvest mode, so we got to see the vines packed full of grapes and taste them right off the vine."