Sonoma Valley Airport - Sonoma, CA
Saturdays and Sundays Walk-in Appointments from 10:30 AM to 3:30 PM
April through Early-November:
Monday, Thursday, and Fridays - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Pilots have been flying for more than 85 years combined
- You get shotgun in this vintage biplane
- Enjoy breathtaking views of fields and vineyards while you fly across them only hundreds of feet in the air
- An aviation adventure to remember!
The chocks are away, you hear the huge radial engine roar and you are rolling down the runway to the sights, sounds and smells of a once in a lifetime aviation experience.
Let the wind blow through your hair as you sit back and enjoy this nostalgic return to a bygone era of romance and excitement where you'll even get to wear a leather flying helmet and goggles!
The 20-minute flight takes you over the breathtaking fields and vineyards of Sonoma and the Napa Valley where, from just a few hundred feet above the ground, you can appreciate the rolling hills and acres of green pastures.
The 40-minute flight offers 3 scenic routes (weather dependent):
- The Wine Country Tour - catch an eagle's view of a world renowned vineyards of the Sonoma and Napa valleys, heading east across the bucolic Cameros region to Napa, turn north to St. Helena, west to Glen Ellen the back south through the lush Sonoma Valley
- West to the Pacific - fly over rolling hills and open pastures of Sonoma, Novato, and Petaluma, then head out to the Tomales Bay and absorb the majestic magnificence of the Pacific Ocean
- Spires of the City - drift south towards San Francisco, enjoying a panoramic outlook of the Sausalito and Tiburon Harbors, outlying views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin Headlands, the circle Mt. Tamalpais en route to Point Reyes and your safe Sonoma return
Step back into history and enjoy a memorable day of flying over the stunning Northern California countryside!
The Boeing PT-17 Stearman is the first aircraft a cadet would fly during flight training prior to and during World War II. Known for its stability and strength, the Stearman was a reliable primary trainer and remains a popular classic today.
Your 1941 Stearman has been modified to accommodate 2 people in the front cockpit. The seat is 32 inches across so the seating is cozy.
- Children must be at least 40 inches tall and children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult
- Please note the front passenger cockpit is only 32 inch bench seat, so fitting 2 passengers is very cozy
20 or 40 minutes of flight time, depending on the option selected.
1-2 per plane, depending on the option selected
There is a picnic area for family and friends to watch the take-off and landing.
This experience is weather dependent. Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing appropriate for weather conditions. We recommend dressing in layers and avoiding windbreakers as they tend to fill with air. A cloth flying helmet and ear plugs are provided. If you would like to take a camera on board, please make sure it has a strap (leash) to secure around your wrist or neck.
For this experience, it is recommended to request bookings at least 7 days in advance.
Prior to scheduling/booking a date for this experience, Cloud 9 Living's standard return and exchange policy shall apply. Once you have scheduled a date and received a booking confirmation, no refunds will be given. Rescheduling is allowed up to 72 hours prior to your experience, failure to appear on your booked date or to reschedule at least 72 hours prior to your booked date will result in the loss of the value of your experience. In the event your experience is canceled due to inclement weather you will reschedule your experience directly with your experience provider.
Can I take control of the airplane?
No, your job is to sit back and enjoy the view. All the passenger cockpit controls have been removed to safely accommodate 2 passengers.
Are the airplanes heated?
No, these are circa 1940's aircraft, the real deal!
Is is safe?
Safety is always a priority. For 30 years they have maintained a perfect flying safety record and each aircraft is maintained to meet the highest FAA maintenance standards.
Can I bring a camera or camcorder?
Yes! But your camera MUST have a strap. A camera with a wide angle or panoramic lens is best, but even a throw away camera will capture this unforgettable experience. A camcorder is ok as long as it is one of the smaller hand held types.
What if my flight is cancelled for weather?
Always contact the experience provider with any questions regarding weather conditions. If your flight is cancelled for weather, you will reschedule directly with the pilot.
Other San Francisco Gift Ideas:(View all 104 San Francisco experiences)
- Gift CertificatesFrom: $50.00
- Sunset Catamaran CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(37)From: $55
- Learn to Fly Big SurAvg Rating of: 4(10)From: $279
- Gourmet Chocolate TourAvg Rating of: 5(9)From: $55
- Champagne Brunch CruiseAvg Rating of: 5(15)From: $100
- San Francisco Dinner CruiseAvg Rating of: 4-half(19)From: $160
- Playing Lesson with a PGA ProAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $220
- Napa Valley Hot Air Balloon RideAvg Rating of: 5(8)From: $239
- America's Cup SailingAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $140
- San Fran ULTRA Chocolate & Cocktail TourAvg Rating of: 5(4)From: $85
- All San Francisco Experiences
"I really enjoyed this. I overall, the experience was amazing...from ordering, booking, and eventually flying, I can't express enough how satisfied I was with this. The pilot and his wife are great people...very friendly. I highly recommend this to anyone with a love of vintage aircraft!"
"It was a fun experience , would do this again"